what to do about a whining baby

my daughter is 6-months-old and just started whining most of the time. I don't know what to do about it if she just thinks this is the way she is communicating or if it is a phase or if she is being naughty. I am not sure if I should ignore it or tell her no when she is doing it. She does while playing and/or looking at me. She will do it in public for instance if sitting in a shopping cart unless she is distracted or picked up and not sure if should ignore it in public or tell her no, which is difficult to do in public. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!

hr402

Asked by hr402 at 11:53 AM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know what you mean. I just wonder if it is the ONLY way she is communicating with you? If yes, then I guess you'll have to endure it until she's old enough to understand how to change away from the whiny tone. If not, then definitely do not give her what she wants when she does it. Don't ignore her...still acknowledge her and talk with her. But encourage her to change her tone (role model it) and give tons and tons of positive reinforcement when she uses the more appropriate tone.

Don't feel like you did anything bad by asking. It's what the forum is for. :-)
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 12:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• She's 6 months old. It's the only way she can communicate right now.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• and here I thought this question was gonna be a Hubby Bash.... darn ;-)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:57 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Is she teething??
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 11:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• She could be teething, try teething tablets.. babies do not whine to be naughty at 6 months old- something is bugging her - If you have the what to expect the first years, its a great tool to get to know infants - seperation anxiety is common for this age also - even while they are with you
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:56 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• She's trying to communicate with you. That's how they start to learn their communication skills. Naughty? Babies at that age are never being naughty intentionally, they lack that ability. When a child looks at you and makes a sound, she is learning that from watching you.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I have found that my kids and my grandkids were either hungry, very tired or not feeling well when they were fussy. I avoided taking them shopping, waited until Daddy was home .....
    when they whined at home, i held them and rubbed their back and soon they would fall asleep. or took their temp. and usually that would give me an answer. At 6 months they do not whine on purpose.....that kind of manipulative behavior comes much much later.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• be paitent and reasure her she is safe and very loved
    NevansMommy

Answer by NevansMommy at 3:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• She's 6 months old. What do you expect her to do, start conversing with you proper English?
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Thanks for the comments and advice. I most definitely didn't mean she was being "naughty" in a misbehaving way, I was just not sure if I could be spoiling her at this age, but am sure you cannot spoil a 6-month-old. I understand babies try to communicate as she used to babble and baby talk, but the whining just came about so wasn't sure. I appreciate the comments.
    hr402

Comment by hr402 (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2010