Vent about unexpected visitors

I'm a new mommy and a single mommy. I hate when people show up unexpected. I had ONE day off of work this week. I was exhausted and decided that I was going to stay in my pj's and hang out with my baby taking it easy all day. So, the house was a mess, I didn't do my hair or makeup. I was in the middle of making dinner, when knock knock, a friend shows up with her 3 kids just to visit. I'm not trying to be antisocial, but come on, a phonecall or text as a heads up or to ask if it was a good time would have been appreciated... Grrrr. Thanks for letting me get that out!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• And the reason you didn't stand at the door saying 'wow, this is a really bad time... could we make plans for another day?' would be what?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:03 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yeah I agree that is totally rude-I am sure she wasn't trying to be rude but there are times you just want time to do your own thing without having to entertain others!
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 12:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• yes, a phone call would have been great. They probley did not think and just wanted to see the baby.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 12:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I agree, I don't like unexpected guests either. Mainly because I don't keep my house 100% every day. Everyone else doesn't have to know that.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:06 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yeah....a call or text would be nice. But as a mother of three whose husband is gone overseas I will say that I don't mind unexpected visitors all that much. Makes for a nice change of pace in the day. Maybe next time you should see if she minds if you shower while she's there. It's always nice to take a shower and not have to worry about what kind of mess you're going to have to clean when you get out lol.
    annabsmommy

Answer by annabsmommy at 12:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I didn't tell her it wasn't a good time because obviously being in my pj's and at home, I wasn't doing anything... I didn't want to hurt her feelings by just not being in the mood to see her.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It is completely rude. I have had that happen. I just don't answer the door. If they call later I tell them straight up.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• She probably knows that you weren't overjoyed to see her, so perhaps she won't come again. I wonder, too, if maybe she needed a friend and thought that you were the friend she could count on. Maybe she was so excited to see you that she thought you would be just as happy to see her, even if she didn't call first. Friends are really hard to come by, and the best ones are the ones we know will always be glad to see us and who will know we came to be with them and not to see the house, the hair, or the make-up. Looks like your friend made a mistake, so just try to forgive her. She probably won't do a repeat.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I know how you feel. Except, I don't have many friends. I'm not much of a hostess. I prefer to visit a friend's/aquaintance's house, than have people over most of the time. So, why do I know how you feel? Well, my parents were and still are very social people. They loved having people over like almost every weekend. Me being shy and not really a people person in my very awkward years didn't care for the company. I was never warned about people coming over. I already had to deal with hundreds of people during school hours... I just wanted the house to be quiet and to sit around the house in whatever kind of clothing I wanted. I still do live some of my life as a loner.
    LanaisSky96

Answer by LanaisSky96 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Uggghhh yes that is very frustrating. I have a family member that does this all the time.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 12:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2010