Do you pay for everything for your teen?

Buy them a car, pay for insurance, give them gas money, and spending money?

voni681

Asked by voni681 at 12:05 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I haven't gotten there yet. I don't see myself doing it though. They will get a job to atleast help with half. We need to prepare them for the real world.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• We did not do all those things for our children. They drove the family car until they were in a position to help with the expense. They all earned scholarships and worked after they were out of high school, but we found that our children appreciated their educations and their vehicles more than the children to whom all of this was just given.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• No. We're not there yet, but it won't be happening. They already know we've offered to pay for 1/2 of their first car, but they will have to pay for the insurance, gas and all extras. We will still be buying their clothes, and paying for basics (lunch money, uniforms, prepaid cell for emergencies, etc.) but they will have to get a part time job (or babysit/cut lawns) to pay for the rest.

Answer by missanc at 12:10 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• No. During senior year at high school, my kids have to work. They each chipped in and payed a portion of the car they share. My son is away at college now, so we pay everything for him; but he has a budget, and knows he only gets a certain amount per quarter.

My daughter is still in school and working. She gets a smaller allowance than last year, because she is now working. She drives herself to and from school and work. We pay the gas. All her 'goodies' (makeup, hang-out $$, etc.) she has to pay for. When she goes away to college, we will give her the same set-up we have for her brother.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• When I was a teen we got the car and some gas money. Because there were 2 cars and 4 people to get places. I had to drive my sister and I to school and after school activities and to work. Sometimes I had to pick up or drop off a parent as well. I started working at 12 babysitting and got a job at 16 for spending money. My Parents would help with the dress for dances but that was it. When I went to school they helped for the first year, then they would send grocery store debit cards.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• We did not. Our older 2 sons opted to not get their drivers licenses in high school but they did have to work part time the summer in between their 10th and 11th grade years in high school so that they had spending money. Our younger 2 both wanted more freedom than their brothers had and got their licenses the summer before they started the 11th. Before they got their licenses they had to have jobs & had to have a 3.0 or better GPA. They both drove for 4 mos. before they got their 1st cars which we bought BUT they made monthly payments to us to pay for 1/2 of what their cars cost (we paid for 1/2) and they paid their own car insurance & for their gas. They also started paying their part of the cell phone bill as soon as they started working (before then it was an allowance of sorts). We always paid for school related expenses and basic clothes & hygiene products (they paid for anything above the basics like AXE or $80 shoes).
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• If my kids want spending money the have to do chores and they know if they want extra money they have to ask for extra jobs. I gave them my old car, but they haven't bothered to learn how to drive yet. I will give them gas money and pay for their insurance as long as they live at home.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 12:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I have 3 teens and I have no intention of buying them a car. I only have one driving right now but she has a job and pays for her own gas and insurance (except during swim team season when I pay for those things for her). I think kids appreciate those kinds of "luxuries" (which I consider them to be when you're only a teenager) must more when they have to work for them themselves. We do pay for most other stuff, though, cell phone bill (as long as they don't go over the limits), clothes, some money for movies, etc.,
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 2:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My children do their chores and help around the house to have extra money. My oldest is 16 and I have no intention of buying him a car, he can use one of the vehicles we already have, I will pay for the insurance and help with gas while he is living in my house. His schedule is so busy it really doesn't allow for him to work. He does help a friend of ours on his farm occassionally when he has extra free hours to do so.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• No way! Children who pay for things, appreciate them more. They value items, personal belongings, etc. As a parent, I have to take care of three things, a roof over their head, food in their mouths and clothes on their backs.....everything else is a priveledge!
    courtneym112

Answer by courtneym112 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2010