Where is a group with children who started school to soon and struggling?

Looking for a group that has school children who started to soon. My son started kindergarten when he was 4 . I felt very strongly about them pushing him to the 1 st grade when he didn't even have the knowledge to go I begged for them to put him in a transtional class they said he would eventually catch up. Now he s struggling in 1st grade most of the kids are turning 7 he just turned 6 He has problems with his abcs ( reconizing them) so there fore he's not able to read He becomes very frusted and then wants to goof off .Could you some advise? And support .

MrsT0002

Asked by MrsT0002 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ask them to bring him back to Kindergarten. If not, you need to do a lot of work at home. Do a new letter every couple of days. Show him upper and lowercase letters, teach them the sound and how to write it. Show and ask him about words that start with that letter.

I taught my stepson sight words by putting new words on the fridge every couple of days with magnetic letters (they have them cheap at Walmart). He is in K and does well for his age. Put a letter on the fridge every day too. Once he knows them all you can start with sight words.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• MY DAUGHTER HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND I JUST HAD THE SCHOOL HOLD HER BACK, I KNOW IT SOUNDS RUFF BUT IT WORKED FOR HER BECAUSE MY ELDEST HAD SUCH A HARD TIME IN FIRST GRADE AND THEY KEPT TELLING ME SHE WOULD CATH ON AND SINCE THEN SHE HAD ALWAYS HAD DIFFICULTY
    RAMIREZ3618

Answer by RAMIREZ3618 at 9:42 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Either ask them to put him back into kindergarten, or hold him back in first grade next year.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 9:59 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Go to the school and tell them you want a tutor for him...they are required under the no child left behind act to do everything in their power to HELP him catch up to his peers. They should evaluate him and see where he really is as far as his learning capabilities. Call the school and get a conference with his teacher and set up and learning plan for him and demand that they give him the help that he needs. Also have his eyes tested...I know sounds dumb but really there was a boy in my son's K class that was falling way behind and come to find out he was leagally bind in one eye and needed corrective lenses for both eyes.....he now reads above his 1st grade level. I really hope this helps you and him!
    bluethenpink

Answer by bluethenpink at 11:32 AM on Nov. 7, 2008