Restaurants and kids

I was reading one of my parenting magazines and their was a debate going on about if restaurants should be allowed to 86 families w/children that were being loud/unruly.

I thought I would ask this question here just to get peoples thoughts.

cheekycherub

Asked by cheekycherub at 12:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think that it is important to teach your children how to behave when you go out so that doesn't happen. When my kids where little and we would go out, if one of them started acting up I would take them out of the restaurant and talk with them. Thankfully because we went out alot my kids learned qucikly how to behave. I also think you really need to bring things to entertain their kids. I always had play dough, crayons, small games.

I agree if you are at a fancy place and the kids are acting up then yes I can see them asking you to leave. I know myself when I go out wihtout my kids I don't want to her someone else kids acting up. I think it is wrong for parents to think that they should be entitled to eat at a restaurant and their kids can act however they want. You need to teach your kids the correct way to behave.

Just my opinion.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• If they're being loud and unruly, yes. As a mother I'd leave on my own if I couldn't get my son to behave anyway.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 12:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think there are certain restaurants that they should be able to. Like a FANCY sit down, not a TGI Fridays or anything like that.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 12:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think there should be a standard for behavior in public period. This goes for everyone, young or old. I don't want to hear a bunch of loud & rowdy teenagers anymore than I want somebody's toddler crashing into my chair when I am out to eat. Despite what everyone seems to think, its not always about YOU. While yes, you do have the right to take your children out to eat, others have the right to enjoy that same restaurant meal in relative peace & quiet. Sometimes the individual needs to be put out to protect the majority!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• We did not take our kids out to eat until they were able to sit and behave for the most part. Nothing more annoying thatn kids running around, or having a fit when you are paying for a meal...
    It was the same with movie theaters. We did not go to the movies until they were able to sit and be quiet for the whole movie

MY kids are NOT someone elses to deal with. This is how I see it. I chose to have them, so I give up some things until they are able to behave and not bother other people for the most part
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think they should be able to. I have seen teenagers get kicked out of restaurants for being loud and unruly so I would think the same would go for families with young children or anyone for that matter. But if your children are disturbing everyone else's dinner you should have the common sense to ask for doggie bags and eat at home. That would be the polite thing to do.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 12:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• An unruly child is no different than an unruly teen or an unruly drunk. They get kicked out of places, so why should a family with an unruly child be different.

I've been in a place where someone's unruly child was going round and EATING FOOD OFF EVERYONE ELSE'S PLATES!!! And the when I grabbed the child's wrist before she grabbed my food and gently took the 3 yr old back to her parents who literally told me "She's 3, what are we supposed to do?" My response - "She's 3 and you are the parents, either keep her sitting or do not bring her out to eat with you. It is rude and inappropriate behavior for your daughter and YOU as the parents need to teach her." After my "speech" they were asked to leave and not come back until their daughter could act properly.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think it is Ok. I mean really do you want to pay for a meal and listen to kids screaming? My youngest one is 8, I can remember recently taking him out to the car til he cooled down. If it is keeping restaurants from getting customers or keeping them, that is money take away from their families. So I say go for it.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• No. I don't think they should be allowed to do this. You're paying to be there.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 12:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think anyone who's being loud and unruly in public spaces should be asked to leave. Lest they be given the impression that their behaviour is socially acceptable.

When the cackling drunk lady, or the arguing 25yo men, the dumb woman yelling into her cellphone, or the cheering sports fans, or the bombastic know it all bellowing at his tablemates are allowed to stay, we aren't going to talk about the same amount of noise out of kids, yes?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2010