does sleeping on ur back hurt the baby?

i know u cant sleep on the tummy but when i lay on my back to go to bed my belly feels all weird

twimommy

Asked by twimommy at 12:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No, it's fine to sleep on your back, but I found it easier to sleep on my side, especially as I got bigger. Towards the end I could hardly sleep at all, in any position!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• No

Answer by older at 12:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I was cautioned not to sleep on my back during the last trimester, because the weight of the baby will then rest against major blood vessels in that area -- this causes the reduction in blood flow spammyann mentioned above. Sleeping on your side is best. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I agree both with spammyann and ss_mom. I slept mostly on my left side when i got near the end of my pregnancy. I did sleep on my back occasionally though and my 4 boys were fine.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 12:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I couldn't lay on my back when I was pregnant with twins -- after about 5 mins, I'd pass out from blood loss to the brain. I took 2 hours to do an ultrasound, because I'd have to roll over every few minutes.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 1:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yes, sleeping on your back can reduce blood flow to the uterus and placenta.
    Only sleep on your sides.
    MarvelousMama

Answer by MarvelousMama at 2:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Actually, you an sleep on your belly so long as it is comfortable to do so. It's safer than your back. Sleeping on your back can reduce blood flow to the baby. But don't panic if you wake up on your back. This happened to me a lot when I was pregnant and everything was fine. When that happens, just move into another position.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:09 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Sleeping on your back after a certain point in your pregnancy puts pressure on your lungs, your vascular system, and your spine. Due to the pressure that the baby and the fluid that is applied. That's why they suggest you sleep on your left side to insure proper circulation and proper breathing.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2010