newborns and going out

with my son i didnt take him anywhere till he was three months and got his shots and i plan on doing the same thing with my second child but the other day this women who over heard me talking to my sister said that makes me a bad mom for not letting them see the world, and that if im like that now god knows how im gonna be when their older. i have to say when someone is sick in my family i dont let them in my house im worried that my son will get sick"YES I KNOW PEOPLE GET SICK"but his three and his almost died when he was a year cus of a bug bite but do u think im just a freak ?

twimommy

Asked by twimommy at 12:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Being around some germs will help to build his immune system, making it easier for him to fight off infections in the long run. Also do lots of hand washing.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Taking them out and exposing them to the world creates a good immune system, but everyone has a different way of seeing things when it comes to newborns, I personally took my first born in a sling everywhere I had to go, and I also did it with my other two, as a toddler, I would let them roam free in my huge backyard crawling in the grass, under supervision of course, and all my family members thought I was crazy. Well as it turned out all my three kids have always been very healthy, even now as adults.

Answer by older at 12:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Someone told me to keep my dh in the house so they dont get sick. However, my dd dr said keeping them in the house all the time isnt good they have to build their immune systems up. In the end youre their mother you do what feels right. Tell that lady who gave you advice that you dont need her opinion.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 12:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I don't think you are a freak. I think we all make our own decisions for our children and no one has the correct answers. For me I had my oldest child out of the house when he was 2 weeks old. I was a single mom and I need to go to the store. So I had to take him with me. You have to do what is best for you.

I would say don't forget that as your children get older you do have to give them some freedoms,

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I took my son out when he was about 3 weeks old, because 1 I didn't want to be couped up in the house all the time and 2 because somebody had to get groceries and run errands etc.
    I don't think your choice makes you a bad parent though. When they are that young it's smart to want to protect them from germs. At such a young age, even a simple cold can become something serious.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 12:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Anonymous, what's wrong with taking a baby to the grocery store? It's not like my baby was running around touching everything. He stayed in his carrier the whole time, and I carry hand sanitizer in my purse so I wasn't transferring germs to him either.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 12:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Oh yeah, and I took him to Walmart! The one here is nice. It's a small town and it's the only store store we have to choose from to get diapers and all that.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 12:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• We took our son to church when he was 2 weeks old. Malls...we waited a long time. He has only been sick 4x in 4.5 years!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Doing what you truly believe is best for YOUR children, does NOT make you a bad mom.

Three months does seem an unusually long period of time to keep a child indoors. You might want to do a little research on the benefits of sun and fresh air and social exposure, versus their possible risks. Maybe some of your concerns are unwarranted. Maybe there is a middle of the road that will benefit your kids, and you as well. Sometimes, the thing that is best, is not easiest. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• How on earth would you get anything done if you didn't leave your house for 3 months? I'd go NUTS!

We were at chuckecheese when my second was 4 days old... AND he was a 35 week preemie. He just slept in his sling the entire time. I don't much see the point in keeping them home if when anyone in the house goes out they will be exposed to all the big bad germs and can bring them home anyway. It's not like newborns are even capable of touching anything but their own faces!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2010