How do I know if im having contractions?

I have know idea if im having contractions or not. My belly gets hard and sometimes I feel like I have really bad gas pains. People keep telling me Ill know when im having contractions but I want to know for sure. So please help! lol

Rileysmommy22

Asked by Rileysmommy22 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Please forgive me, I don't want to scare ya. But it's ironic I was told you'll know. Then New Year's Eve they had to call the doctor's into the hospital cause I was about to delivery. I was told not push. Crazy me didn't know I even had contractions. I had major back pain. Believe me or not my doctor was upset with me since I didn't know I was having contractions. It also didn't help when I had seen my doctor recently and she had said the baby would still be awhile from delivery. How wrong she was. Yes, most people know however there are times where we don't know. Granted it was my 1st child and my husband missed the birthing class that talked about backpain. I also had a urinary tract infection so my water didn't break like most. So I'm the odd one. I think it wouldn't hurt to check into it however after my experience you can understand where I'm coming from. Gas could also be the food you're eating.
    MommabearGrr

Answer by MommabearGrr at 1:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• From what I remember from my 1st baby the contractions felt like period cramps.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Your belly gets hard and it hurts or feels like a lot of pressure.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 1:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yeah for my first baby I had no idea what was happening either. They say you'll know, but I had no idea. It feels like you're having period cramps at first then they start to get more and more uncomfortable.
    BellasMom185

Answer by BellasMom185 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2010