• In the Spotlight:

Obama supporters. Where were you when Obama was declared the winner? what were you doing?

Last night a big group of volunteers got together at the house of an awsome couple who donated their downstairs for us to use as a campaign office. We waited there for the results. Laugh as we recalled all we did, scream everytime Obama got electoral votes and cried when he spoke. Our day started at 6:00 am. Organizing, knocking on doors, visiting polling sites and finally celebrating together with many bottles of champaigne as our new President was elected. The home owner had purchase all the bottles and was hiding them from us until they declared Obama the winner.

So tell us your experience. Where were you when Obama was declared the winner? what were you doing? feelings?

ny.chica

Asked by ny.chica at 10:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• When I saw Jesse Jackson crying, that did it for me. I couldn't help but to cry along with him.

Me too... I was in my room with the news on watching the results... I was also online and saw the announcement on the BBC News site before CNN or the TV. I try to get my news there when I can... you'd be amazed what we don't see here. Anyway... I waited until US media carried it and ran into the living room to tell my hubby. He said, are you sure? lol. Then the numbers kept climbing... no question at all... I loved watching all the people. It was a beautiful proud moment.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:34 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I was a geek here on CM in the politics section and watching it on TV.... lol
    Anonymous

• I was sitting right here on CafeMom, my mouth practically hanging open from all of the meanness that's always on here (lol).

My boyfriend had Comedy Central on, watching Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert talk about the election and stuff.

I missed the part where Jon Stewart said "Our new president is Barack Obama" and the audience went crazy. My boyfriend was like "OMG CAIT" and rewound the tv (gotta love dvr!) so I could see it. I was like "I KNEW IT!" And we pumped our fists a few times and were all giddy for a few minutes and then we settled down and finished watching the election night special =] Then we flipped between MSNBC, CNN, and Fox News...ONLY Fox News so we could see how they were taking it. If you dislike Fox News you know what I mean :P
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I was working on my medical transcription and watching it on tv...
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 10:29 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I was sitting at home watching a monumental occasion with my daughter and my husband. I was un utter disbelief. I voted for Obama, but I couldn't believe he had that kind of lead! Then I watched a composed and warm John McCain concede to Obama. I was impressed by his demeanor and his comments. Then I watched Obama's speech and I was so moved. When I saw Jesse Jackson crying, that did it for me. I couldn't help but to cry along with him.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 10:32 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I was on the phone with my brother (we both worked the phones at our local Obama HQ's), and when they announced it, we were both screaming at each other. Sooooo excited and proud. What a great moment for America.
    SLCMOMMY

Answer by SLCMOMMY at 10:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I was going between chatting with my group of Obama supporters her on CM and watching the tv with my family. Right before they announced Obama was the winner my mom had called from NC worried about the way the polls were showing, then all of the sudden his electoral votes shot up to 304 and we were like OMG!!!! We couldn't believe it. My hubby, me, my 2 kids and my mom were all together when it happened. My daughter and I did the happy dance that we had been practicing all day (LOL) and we were crying and hugging and just watching as it sunk in that this had really happened.
    Elicia35

Answer by Elicia35 at 10:38 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Elicia35...LOVE the happy dance..that's a great mental picture, lol.
    SLCMOMMY

Answer by SLCMOMMY at 10:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I WAS SITTING IN MY LIVING ROOM WITH HUBBY, DRINKING OUR WINE. I HAD CHAMPAGNE IN THE FREEZER... JUST WAITING!!
    I WAS HOPING I'D GET TO POP THE CORK, NOT THROW IT OUT THE BACK DOOR!!
    MONHOLLENMOM

Answer by MONHOLLENMOM at 11:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I was in Wal Mart. My family and I came out into a parking lot full of people chanting and shouting like lunatics and people driving their cars around at dangerous speeds with no regard for the pedestrians, including children.

The police were called in. It's nice to see our future president has such a positive effect on where I live ( sarcasm of course!)
    Anonymous