Dogs

What is the best kind of dog to get my daughter who is 3?
Me and her father has been going back and forth for a month now on getting her a dog so we finally came to a conclusion. But now we are trying to figure out what is the best kind of dog....She has been around pit bulls before and they are so protective of her and that got on my nerves. So we are deciding on a small dog....I saw a Jack Russell that would be great but I need your opinion. I know at the end of the day I have the finally say so but I wanted to make sure that I choose the appropriate dog to be apart of our family.

mom42107

Asked by mom42107 at 1:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Pets

• Smaller dogs tend to be hyperactive and testy. I have a black lab and she is great with all 3 of my kids -- protective without being overbearing and extremely tolerant. My 4 year old can jump on her and she doesn't bat an eye.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 1:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I had a Jack Russell once. It was very hyper. Always jumping on my kids. If the size would be O.K. I have had several Cocker Spaniels they are great family dogs.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think it really depends on the personality of the dog and your daughter. Is she laid back or really energetic? How much time do you have to excercise a dog? Do you like long hair, short hair, or non-shedding? What about getting just a mutt from the pound?

I have 2 pit bulls and a 9 month old baby and they all love eachother.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Jack Russel is not a good choice for a three year old. In fact, I really think that this age is too young to really handle any type of dog, in MOST cases. There are some exceptions. I would recommend a cat or a guinea pig until the child is around 6 years, just my opinion. I do work with dogs and families on a daily basis, so it is an educated opinion at least.

However, if you really want to do a dog, then I would highly recommend a shih tzu as a great breed of dog for families with children. Pugs are also quite good, but they can be harder to house train in my experience. You really want to avoid any type of terrier, and any of the toy breeds, they are just way to fragile for a 3 year old. If you want a pitbull type that is good with children, go with a boxer, they are a handful because of their activity level, but they are usually lovely with children and families.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:36 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• jack russels are hyper...i have 2 basset hounds and they are protective of my kids but they also let them pull on their ears and climb all over them without a fuss..they are great with kids...i also have a rat terrier mix and she's "snappy" not good with kids AT ALL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Your three year old needs a dog like she needs a hole in her head.
    Do you have the money to take the dog to the vet if something happens? Do you have the money to properly feed, house and care for the dog? Do you have the time, the money, the space and the energy it takes to have a dog?

Terriers are hyper dogs that need regular exercise. Can you provide that without dumping the dog outside on a chain?
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 1:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Beagles r very good with all kids they have sweet personalities and they rjust cute!!! I have also had a bassett hound but they have a very,very,hard time climbing stairs. Let me know what u choose.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Thanks for your opinion....I am financial stable to afford a dog. I understand, agree and disagree, with some of you guys. My daughter is lovable she loves to cuddle and run. She is great with dogs....my mom has a pomerian(misspelled) and she taught this dog how to sit and roll. She did the same thing with the pit bull at the age of 2. I know she is ready and so am I. I dont want a long hair dog....has to have short hair and cant be over 20lbs. I have tons of space in my home and great outside. I dont want an outside dog this dog will be in the house all the time until I take him/her outside.
    mom42107

Comment by mom42107 (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• get a standard poodle. very nice dogs and allergy free and non shedding. lots of grooming though. i read your weight limit is 20 pounds but my standard only weighs 35. she was the runt.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• or a shih tzu. they are hard to potty train. i would get an older dog around 1-2 yrs of age.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 9, 2010