Can you get rid of Type 2 Diabetes with excercise and a good diet?

My future BIL was diagnosed with it a couple years ago. He whines and complains that there is nothing he can do and poor him. He weighs close to 400 lbs. I tried to set him up with a diet plan and help him make vegetarian recipes. He never drinks water, he always drinks mt. dew or gatorade. They never cook, mostly eat out. Their cupboards are full of little debbie's. He has my fiance (his bro) convinced that he will get it too, but we eat healthy and excercise.

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 1:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Health

• With his weight and the number of years this has been going on he may not be able to "get rid of it".. But generally yes, type 2 can be controlled meaning no need for meds or insulin with weight loss and exercise.. Type 2 is developed over time, the pancreas no longer works like it should, the body still produced insulin but not enough.. Type 1 is different, the pancreas no longer makes insulin at all and therefore the person will be on insulin for the rest of their lives.

Of course there is soo much more to DM than what I wrote here but lets just say this is the cliff notes version :) Many people are not really educated on how severe DM can be and what they can lose if they do not follow the guideline. I care for many people that are blind and have lost limbs due to uncontrolled diabetes.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:09 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• You can't get rid of it, but you may be able to control it and reduce other problems associated with diabetes by eating right and exercising.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 1:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I've heard of people with Diabetes having massive weight loss and it has wiped it out, so yes it can happen.

Be warned though, he's 400 lbs, so it's not something that's easy to do. It takes a lot of time and a lot of work to drop from that weight to something healthy and it can be very depressing. I got up to 300 lbs and I had surgery to lose my weight. Some people can do it the old fashioned way, but exercise and diet, but others (like me) need a little help.

Your BIL has to be willing to commit. If he's not willing to make the change (getting rid of the sodas and sweets) then there isn't much you can do about it.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yes, I believe a lifestyle change can reverse Type 2 diabetes in many people, or at least hold it in check. Certainly your BIL is doing nothing but exacerbating his condition.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yes and in his feet etc.. The excess sugar in the blood damages nerves etc and alot of diabetes have neuropathy pain.. I think I spelled that right.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• He may want to talk to his MD about it.. If he is not controlling it, he is setting himself up for major issues.. Some do very well with oral meds while other have to take insulin several times a day.. Just remember tho, you can't make him change or care :(
    That is the hard part..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• @midnightmoma- Could a person like my BIL start to lose feeling in his hands?
    Shanna84

Comment by Shanna84 (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yep- he keeps saying he has neuropothy. The funny thing is, he is not on any medication for diabetes.
    Shanna84

Comment by Shanna84 (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2010