how to get kids to clean

i have a four and three year old. boys and their so hyper my oldest i ask him to pick up his toys and he never dose i pick up all the bins of toys and within an hour or so their all duped out again every time i ask him two do something like pick up his toys hell be like no ill make my bed things like that how can i start to get my kids to pick up their toys its so annoying and i know that they are at that age that they no how now ..

kodawhite

Asked by kodawhite at 1:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Tell them to pick up after theirselves and reward them when they do. Maybe their favorite movie or a treat.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:36 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Tell them to pick up their stuff.. if they won't, just leave it and make them sit in a room without toys.
    Give them one more chance to pick it up..if they won't, you go ahead and do it & put all their toys up and they cannot play.
    They will eventually learn.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:36 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• You mentioned bins. Make sure they don't get another one out until the first one is cleaned up. Put on music and tell them to clean during the song and then they can go back to playing (do this several times/day)

Answer by missanc at 1:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• When mine did that, I'd ask them to pick up 3 times. If they didn't do it, I'd get a trash bag and put all the toys in it and make them think I was throwing them away. I didn't, but after a while, they would start picking up when asked.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 1:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yes, you need to reinforce that HE puts the toys back in the bin. Use a consequence in this instance. If he doesn't put the toy back in the bin, that to(s) will go into an "off limits" bin or room, and he has to do something (like another household chore) to earn it back into the toy bin. He is not allowed to play with any toys that he can't put away for 5 days and stick to that.

And give each child one chore a day to get them into the routine of being helpers and responsible. Tell them it is part of their job of being in a family. Simple things like a dust rag to dust the cabinets, or get a garbage bag for you when you empty the kitchen trash, or clearing their plates from the table after they eat.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2010