Do you take disappoinment well?

How do you handle being let down? Just get over it? Or no?

bjojola

Asked by bjojola at 1:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• Me personally.

Disappointment is only as big as the expectation. Years ago when I was younger, I would get really disappointed about things, lotsof things. Then I realized that the majority of my disappointments were on me, not the person I felt disappointed me. The reason I say it was on "me" was because, I would get disappointed (and hurt) because of things like: someone did not respond/react to something the way I wanted/expected them to, someone didn't do something I wanted the way I wanted even though in most cases I just assumed this person would just do what I wanted without me really going into detail about what it was I wanted, someone didn't do something or offer to do something for me that I expected even though it really wasnt' offered.. etc.

After I accepted where much of my disappointments were stemming from, my disappointments in life lessened greatly.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• When I was younger it was really hard and I would get angry or really sad but as I have grown up and matured I now just accept it as part of life. My DH doesn't "get his hopes up" because he says he doesn't want to be dissappointed. I think that is a sad way to live. I will get excited about the possibility that something may happen and if it doesn't I just deal with it and think "maybe next time" I don't want to live with never get excited about something becasue I don't want to be disappointed.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 1:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I get mad! Then I deal with it. Sometimes I can stay mad for awhile.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:36 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think over the years I've gotten better, I like to vent, and then I start to address that person or myself if i'm dissappointed in them and why. Then I start to move forward with forgiving and moving on.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It depends on what it is. I think it's important to let emotions run their course, it's ok to be sad sometimes as long as you're still able to function and be a productive person.
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 1:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I usually cry or lash out and take it out on my hubby. Poor guy.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 1:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• yes, I am really used to being disappointed, ;-)
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• To me it is extremely important for me to remain as peaceful as possible. So, I try not to let things bother me that much, especially considering most things in this life and world really are not so important to let hurt me emotionally and/or physically, like health wise. But I do realize that there are times when it is actually healthy or healthier for people to get upset and let things out. So, it definitely depends on what it is that is making me disappointed but for the most part I would probably just try to let it go.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I push through it. Sometimes I get anxious and feel helpless, because I want what I wanted and can't have it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• NOPE
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 4:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2010