I've read hundreds of times that offspring from related individuals leads to birth defects.

Is this all true or something someone made up like drinking water the next day after drinking alcohol makes you drunk again. I might be preggo from someone in my family so I'm sorta stuck thinking about this all the time. Does anyone have any good and true information I can use?

KaylaS33

Asked by KaylaS33 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You need to see an OB doctor and tell the truth about the conception. Perhaps she will recommend genetic counseling. It's true. I hope this isn't the same person who asked this before. I imagine you are going a bit crazy being in this position. I recommend counseling since you have experienced something traumatic.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 12:55 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• yes it's true.

Anonymous

• Did you have sex with a family member at will?.. well it isn't my buss... But when it is Close fam.. dad brother it is more likely to happen.. but I know a girl that is Preg by her half brother and the baby is fine as far as development ...But i am unsure as mentally ...
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 10:31 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• It's most definitely possible, but the chances get higher the closer the relationship is.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:33 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• It is true.

Actually, birth defects are so prevalent in many Amish communities since everyone is so closely related.

Here in Wisconsin I had the opportunity to work on the health care level with the Amish and found out that they are actually paying non-Amish men to get their women pregnant to lower the risk of defects.

This is more than you want to know but they cover the girl with a sheet that has a hole in it. While the parents, husband, and grandparents are watching the paid man comes in and does his duty then leaves.

Yeah, you should seek medical attention and genetic counseling.

Good luck.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 10:34 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• "This is more than you want to know but they cover the girl with a sheet that has a hole in it. While the parents, husband, and grandparents are watching the paid man comes in and does his duty then leaves."

Wow...I'm kinda glad I'm not Amish o.o
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• It's a medical fact that the chance of birth defects is exponentially higher in related parents. as an example, so many members of royalty were hemophiliacs because of inbreeding.

teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 10:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• yes it's true.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 11:05 PM on Nov. 6, 2008