Online or Classroom

I am currently taking Classroom course so I can get a BA in Business Administration. I have been doing that for 2 years now and my daughter is getting older and bringing home HW. My sister works at nite and she needs someone to watch her kids while her husband drives trucks....I have no problem with doin it I am just nerves about taking online courses now.....So I wanted to hear from some online mothers on how it work with having small kids. When I say small kids meaning 3 and 4. Lately its been kool because my sisters goes in @ 8pm and get off @ 4am. So I dont have to get them ready for school and between the hours that she is @ wrk the kids are sleep. So I really dont mind helping her and her husband out when I can because they have been there for me on many occassion.

mom42107

Asked by mom42107 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• I am not taking any courses but my DD does. She works full time and has a work schedule that can change. Online school works for her so she can do it when she is not working. The thing you have to be careful about is finding courses that you do whenever you can not "scheduled" classes that you HAVE to do the schooling at a specific time. Good luck
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 1:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I like online courses, if they are from an actual campus college, alot of purely online colleges are scams.

Anyway, it can be difficult with young kids but if they are asleep most of the time that you plan to do the work then it should be good. You can always reevaluate the arrangment with your sister if you find yourself falling behing.... I warn you that falling behind on online courses is very easy and very difficult to get out of, so you have to act early if it starts

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I like online and online/classroom hybrids - I am very disciplined. The advantage of classroom for more difficult subjects is having the ability to ask questions after lecture. But sitting in class is tedious!!!!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Online!! I love that I can go to school at any time. I don't have to worry about getting to campus when the roads are bad. And it seems to me like a lot of the classes let you work at your own pace... so if I want to get ahead I can. And then if I need a day off or two (sick kid, or too many other things going on) then it's fine.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:37 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Whatever you decide to do, make sure you are taking online classes with the university you were attending. You want your education to be on the same level as it was when you were in the classroom. Honestly, I don't know how that can be achieved online.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I got an associate's degree online and to be honest, I think online courses are a joke.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Online courses take A LOT of discipline - when I went to community college, it was said for every HOUR spent in the classroom, 3 hours should be spent studying and learning the material outside of the classroom, and it just about doubles with online course work because you have to be able to teach yourself according to what the curriculum is.
    atowers

Answer by atowers at 4:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2010