How can I get my daughter to grasp concept of no means no all day, week, month, year, life long.

Ok so here is what I mean, my 4yo daughter is usually a great little girl, silly, loving and imaginative.

But, when being told to stop an action that is inappropriate, she will momentarily stop and then continue to do it later on. Now I've been repeating and repeating myself with her constantly and its not that I am non-consistent, I am constantly telling her to stop and why she should stop.

Apparently she has become a bully in preschool the last few days, including being forceful(pushing other) with others and stepping on shoes and other's belongings. Even talking back to her teacher with disrespect, and telling others where they can or cannot sit because she "doesn't like them" . Her teacher had told me during orientation that she would let it go on a few days because kids do have bad days too, but if it continued to be disruptive she would need to call me and that is what she did today.

We have never allowed this kind of behavior with our older dd (7yo) nor with her before all of this happened.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other ways of showing her the consequences or how to show her that this type of behavior isn't acceptable? Since just verbal interaction isn't working with her.

Also nothing else in our home life has changed recently, so I don't think its a reaction to a change or anything like that.

JesF419

Asked by JesF419 at 1:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Punishment. Take something she likes away for a while. Teach her that there ARE consequences.
    Anonymous

• Oh they know. They're testing their limits, their bounderies, and your patience though. They'll fight you everyday until the day they leave home and even some still fight you after that. Be consistant with punishment, follow through, and don't back down.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yep punishment in whatever form you use as punishment.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 6:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Firm but not angry consistency in punishment. Explain to her that if she does this again, this will happen... if she doesn't, then it won't. Let her choose what she wants to do... then follow through, no matter what. This is a boundary testing thing it sounds like.... Best of Luck!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 1:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2010