How did you survive seperation anxiety?

My baby is 8 months old and for the last month she has been so attached to me.. If I leave the room even if daddy is with her she starts crying. If she cannot see me while she is playing she crys. She even crawls after me bawling if I go to another room to grab something..

I cant hold/ be near her ALL the time but she does get held/ played with often. More often than not id say.
I just want to know how did you survive? How long does it last? Any tips to make it easier?

LadyofIvory

Asked by LadyofIvory at 1:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It won't last forever but it might go on a while longer. I would suggest trying to be calm about it yourself- as in when you come back into a room don't rush over to her and pick her up and give her ten minutes of cuddles because this just reinforces that her reaction is normal and that she gets attention for it. When she is playing and you leave just say happily, "Mommy is going into the bedroom and I'll be right back" if she fusses call to her from the other room "Mommy is coming right back, honey" and then come out with a "Here I am, right back here with you" and maybe give her a quick kiss or something and then keep right on playing or whatever you were doing before you left. Show her that you are ok with it, and keep doing this throughout the day so she will get used to you leaving for a second and coming right back. Playing peek-a-boo games can help, too, so she learns you are still there even if she doesn't see you. GL.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• If you continue to hold and play with her all the time it can continue on for a long time. There are children older that are the same way because they never taught their children how to be by themselves, play with themselves and even to soothe themselves. If you really want to you should try to make a time during the day that she is without you for a short time. like 5 minutes and then work your way up to 30 everyday for a awhile and let your child cry for a few minutes, maybe while shes in her crib let her sit there by herself for a while before you come get her.
    -Q-

Answer by -Q- at 3:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• In addition to what Mary said, I would play a lot of peek-a-boo, where you disappear completely behind the wall. Do it quickly at first, gradually getting longer and longer until she just dosn't care as much. Do this game ALL THE TIME and she will get it. It is her age too, so it is completely normal. Have dad hold her duing peek-a-boo time, and have him disappear too. Sorry, I know how stressful this is. :(
    squish

Answer by squish at 4:09 PM on Dec. 9, 2010