Help!!! I still havent had a girls night out since baby...

My baby is 8 months old. She is my first. She is a breastfed baby and still nurses a couple times a night. I have gone out and left her with a sitter so that hubby and I could go out on date night. But my girlfriends both who have had baby #2(neither breast feed) this past year want to go out and hit the bars in the city which is 45 minutes away and get shitty! lol. I REALLY want to go out and know I absolutly deserve it and need it but I just keep talking myself out of going. I just am worried about not being close if she needs me, wont take the bottle or cant handle it( seperation anxiety) Or hubby not being able to deal bc he cant handle her crying
Is it normal for me to be so torn about leaving her?
Any advice on just getting out and having a great time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't get wasted if you are still breastfeeding. You deserve a fun night out but you should still be responsible especially if it's going to effect what your baby eats!
    Anonymous

• I would suggest somewhere closer. Just remember if you go out and get "shitty". Mommy duty is back on when you get home. From experience it is Horrible being a Mommy and dealing with a hangover.
    Anonymous

• I would hope that you could go out and have a good time without getting drunk. If that is your friends goal in order to have a "great night out" then maybe you need some new friends. I go out with my friends on occasion and leave my 2 year old and 5 month old with my husband, but I stay in town and don't get drunk.

Answer by missanc at 2:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Sounds to me like girls' night out wouldn't be all that fun for you. Also sounds like perhaps you've moved on past what your friends still enjoy. It's just growing up, dear.

How about going and NOTgetting "shitty?" Be the designated driver and take blackmail photos.

It occurs to me that someone who needs to be drunk to have fun is really a pretty boring person.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:11 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• But YES... you're normal!

Answer by gdiamante at 2:12 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yeah I'm not into getting drunk anymore! But that is what the group has chosen to do with there time away from the kids! I'd like to go out and have a drink and bullshit. My goal of the night is some much needed mommy time with old friends.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I'd say you deserve to go and be the designated driver. You can still maybe have a good time with your friends but if your baby needs you you'll be able to leave at a moments notice and either come back for yoru friends or make them come too.
    Or maybe try and talk them into something else. Send hubs and the kids to someone elses house and do a home spa night, or go to a spa or do something close to home with them. THere's nothing wrong with that.
    As for ways to go and have a good time, I always just enjoy going to a good mall with my MIL when we go down her way.
    If you want to be a little crazy get some cheesy movies you liked in HS, packets of coolaid and junk food. Dye your hair funny colors, watch the movies, eat the food and maybe come up with some equally silly game and have an "old school" night in...
    I don't know. I'm full of crazy ideas.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 2:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I could understand wanting to go and have a good time but going to get drunk isnt really a great decision imo.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 6:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I haven't been out with just my girlfriend in about 8 years. And the last date me and hubby had was the day before our youngest was born (he's almost 5 months) and the last date before that was January 09.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2010