how long to you play out side in the snow with your little ones?

i have a 3 year old and 11 month old I find its hard to take them out to play in the snow for any lenght of time......max (20 min)

Becnfamily

Asked by Becnfamily at 2:09 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• As long as they can tolerate, they let me know when they have had enough, usually 30 min. to 1 hour depending on how cold/wind now that they are older. We love to ski in the snow too and that is morning to night!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:11 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Well that is because at that age it IS hard to do with them. I think 20 min is probably ample time for them. They probably get pretty cold. As they get older, you will be able to stay out longer but still I think you still use common sense. As in, if they seem cold you bring them in no matter how long you've been out. But really I dont think anything past an hour anyhow. When mine were 1 or 2 they didnt even really want to stay out past maybe 10 min. They weren't that impressed with the snow once they got to see it up close & realized how cold it was.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I send my kiddos out to play on their own (6 and 7 yo) and I just watch through the door wearing my snuggie :) I didn't take them out before they were 2 or so. Back then I would just let them play while I shoveled. Or again...stand in the door and watch while I stayed warm. I always let them play until they asked to come inside.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I have a 3 year old and a 14 month old and Sunday we were out in the snow for almost 2 hours. I was the one ready to go in. They were having a blast sledding down the hill and my 3 yo was having a snowball fight with his Dad. The swingset was also a big hit they both loved going down the snow covered slide. Sometimes we go in sooner, or I take baby in and dh stays out with ds.....
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 2:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My daughter could proably play in the snow for hours if I'd let her but I don't. My son isn't quite 3 months old and I just feel he's too young for that, especially since he keeps getting sick, so unforatenly that hampers big sis.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 2:23 PM on Dec. 9, 2010