Charter School or Public School?

My children currently go to a K-12 Charter school. But, we will be moving in a few months. Should I try to keep them in their school or move to public school?

My2purtygurls

Asked by My2purtygurls at 2:12 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think it depends on the area and how good or bad the public schools are.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Charter
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Is it accredited? And can you keep them in the charter school?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Well, I am looking to move back home, to California. Problem is there is not very many charter schools like there is out here in Az.
    My2purtygurls

Comment by My2purtygurls (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• There are so many variables involved, that no one can give you the right answer. For instance, if your child is in 11th grade, then you should probably do whatever is necessary to keep them at the same school (assuming they want to stay). The answer all comes down to the INDIVIDUAL SCHOOLS you are comparing, AND how they fit with your child. A school that has an intense focus on science and math isn't going to be a good fit for an artistic child, and vice versa. A charter school isn't automatically better than a public school, there are wonderful and horrible ones in each category. You will truly have to visit the schools in question to make an informed decision. Or try and find a parent at that school you can talk to.

I would definitely ask your child's opinion, no matter their age. Not that that will be your deciding factor by any means, but they should have an opportunity to voice their desires and concerns.
    whatthewhat

Answer by whatthewhat at 3:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• If these were our only two choices here I would go with charter - our public schools are a nightmare. We actually homeschool now instead. But, in your case, I would stick with the charter school and see what you can find in the area you are moving to before you get there.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• There are some really great charter schools here in CA what part of CA are you moving to? You might try looking up a few.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 12:59 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• If you can find out what the public schools are like, give them a shot if the are good. We love our schools here, they are the reason we moved here.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:46 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Make sure that your school is accredited be it a public, charter, or private school. If it is not accredited then some colleges will not
    accept that diploma for entrance and will require a GED.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• i would look into both... public and charter, find out how they are whereyou are moving...
    asil

Answer by asil at 8:04 PM on Dec. 11, 2010