How many of you consider time out an effective form of discipline?

I ask because if never worked for me once my children realized that all they had to do was sit there for a few minutes and then they could get up and go about their business with no further consequence.

Treefrog64

Asked by Treefrog64 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• for me it's a complete joke...my daughter laughs at it (literally)....to each their own I guess....she was hitting the cat and I spanked her after a warning...it worked. most people would think I'm a "bad mom" for that, but guess what, you do what works on YOUR child. :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It did NOT work with mine...my daughter especially.
    It was completely pointless with her

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:23 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think it depends on the child, I have one it works with and one it doesn't
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:23 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It worked for my son, but he has always been such a good boy. I really didn't have to disipline him very much as he was born with a good sense of right and wrong. My daughter is a horse of a different color, she screams throughout her whole time out and it never does change her future behaviors. I talk to her all the time about what is appropriate and what is not, this has not worked either. I don't know how to disipline so I just stick with the ineffective times out! I'm really hoping it will just click one day *crossing fingers*
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 2:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think it depends on the child.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2010