Daughters very long shower

My 9 year old daughter takes a very long shower sometimes even 45 minutes. I have told her she need to not take such long showers and she says "I forget". How can I get her to take a shorter shower? And, why is she taking such a long shower?

Momma_A4

Asked by Momma_A4 at 2:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• my dad would turn off the hot water if i was taking to long so i started to take quick ones lol. Just an idea.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Go in the bathroom and make her get out or set an egg timer.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Let her be, at least she is getting clean, it feels good to have hot water pour over your body, and it is the best place to daydream too!

Answer by older at 2:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Knock on the door to remind her, I went through that phase through, I was didn't want to be cold when I got out. haha
    trentonsmom2010

Answer by trentonsmom2010 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I went through this with my oldest son. I tried the knock on the door, set the timer thing without much success. We finally told him 15 minutes of running water and we would turn the hot water heater off. He didn't believe us until it happened twice. He learned how to live with it :)
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:33 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Thanks for the suggestions. I've been thinking, could she be "playing around" in there and that is what is taking so long?
    Momma_A4

Comment by Momma_A4 (original poster) at 2:36 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Idk how to get her to stop but I've always been like that. Im 25 and still take looooong showers.
    randibosin

Answer by randibosin at 2:36 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I take long showers, but I have a lot of hair to wash and condition, that takes the majority of the time. I want to take a shower at your house. How big is your hot water tank to last 45 minutes? I always end up running out of hot water. It would never even come close to lasting 45 minutes. Lucky little girl, I'm jealous! LOL. My DD messes around forever too. She plays around or just stands in there letting the water pour over her. I think that's just how lil girls are.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 2:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• BTW..my daughter used to whine about it takes me more time to shave my legs. I finally told her run a tub, sit down and shave you legs. Then drain the tub and finish showering. That worked really well for us. She also realized she didn't cut herself as much sitting in the tub calmly.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• We have our DD set a timer. Very often we will give her the an iPod to use that can double as a time and she can listen to the music as well. Usually works like a charm.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2010