postpartum && boyfriend

long story short, kinda lol my daughter is 2 months old. i didnt think postpartum depression set in this late til recently i started to cry alot and my daughter when she cries it irritates the hell outta me and im always tired even if i was in bed by 8.

im not sure if thats what it is but i have a doc appt on the 20th where i plan on saying something.

the problem is my boyfriend doesnt believe in medications for depression so i was wondering if theres any other options to help me out and deal with how i feel.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Relationships

• honey, who cares what your boyfriend believes in! do what you need to do for you!

Anonymous

• cont.

there are other side affects to make me think i have it but i dodnt waana bore anybody with details.

just lookin for advice
    Anonymous

• honey, talk to your doctor!
    Anonymous

• sweetie, if you need to take pills for a little while to feel better, than why not?? He's not the one dealing with it, YOU are, and if you're the one home with the baby all day, taking care of her, than he doesn't have much say, in my opinion. Post partum depression is a very REAL thing. (and FYI, it can happen and stay for up to two years after your baby's birth.) take him with you to your doctor's appointment, that way he will be more educated about it as well, and see that medication isn't such a bad idea if you need it.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 10:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Well if you crying for no reason and irritated quick..it might be. I had it as well and I took medication and trust me it helps. You are the one feeling this way not you bf. He needs to understand that your ill and you need to be healthy to be there for your baby.....
    Anonymous

• if your dr. thinks you need medicine to get better,take it. don't tell your boyfriend if he's gonna be unsupportive. you need to get better for you and your baby. i read somewhere postpartume depression can hit 2 years after giving birth(it's rare but possible). i had to take prozac for about 2 yrs. after my 2nd child was born. it really does help. good-luck,feel better.
    pam228

Answer by pam228 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• i'm really upset to see everyone hideing behind "anonymous", postpartum depression isn't something to be ashamed of. why is it women can talk openly about std's, but not this?
    pam228

Answer by pam228 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• My hubbs was against meds, i suffered for a long time because of him. I finally got meds despite his protests ad i was better after about a month. i did it for me and my daughter, my hubbs understood and got over it.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 11:03 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• He is not the one that had the baby.
    He needs to think first about you,the mother to his child and not his needs.
    I understand his concerns what medications can do and not do but he needs to stay open minded based off various situations,especially for the person he cares/loves and for the best interests to the baby.
    I would get on some and when your ready inform him,you should not sacrifice certain things and health especailly as a mom is one of them,he can always be replaced but not you.
    Go see your doctor or a mental health professional for solutions & best of luck to you!
    Anonymous

• I don't think you need medication either. I think you need a break! You also have hormone imbalance from having the baby. What you are experiencing is perfectly normal - not fun but normal. I recommend getting hormone levels in check first then consider antidepressants. I'm not against them but I don't thing you, in particular, need them. I think you need natural progesterone supplementation.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 6, 2008