Just wanting to see how tolerant other religions are about Christmas?

Since this has been going back and forth for weeks, I want to ask of non-Christians. Do you allow your children to watch this show every year, or is even Peanuts offensive to you? Is it really that petty, that a show that's been around for over 40 years could be? Here's the clip of Linus explaining the true meaning of Christmas. Please, keep it civil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKk9rv2hUfA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:36 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I practice Buddhism but am from a Christian background, dh is an atheist from a Hindu background. My kids have seen the Peanuts Christmas special every year since birth. Not every non-Christian is trying to raise their kids in a vacuum- I'm happy to have my kids hear the Christmas story, just as I don't hide ideas from other faiths from them. We have no issue telling them that people have different beliefs and that they need to consider what their own beliefs might be. Actually the verse that Linus sites is one that I have always like... particularly the end, "Glory to God in the highest, and on Earth peace and goodwill toward men." I've got no issue with that!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Too many people are LOOKING for a reason to get offended that they find offense in the most innocent of places. It's a cartoon. Charles Shultz, from what I understand, was a Christian so that theme is prevalent (sp) throughout the Peanuts cartoons. I don't see the big deal.

I do wish the would stop editing the cartoons of the past to make them more PC. Now THAT is something that I am offended about.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I'm not a Christian and I loooove Christmas! It's a fun holiday and I love all of the shows and so do my kids.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I hope you don't mind my answering, because I am a Christian now, but even when I was *not* (which was for half my life), I was not offended at all! I really loved Linus and his speech.
    Mamas2babies

Answer by Mamas2babies at 2:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I love Linus!!!
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My son is a Sikh. Raised in a Sikh household. His extended family are a mix of : Sikhs, Hindus, Muslims and Buddhist (there is 1 Sufi tossed in the mix.. lol)

He watched a Charlie Brown Christmas every year. Why? Because he liked the Peanuts. Same reason he watched every other Peanut holiday special.

Why are people actively looking for a reason to be offended, and actively prodding and questioning in order to raise ire and offense?

From an outsiders view ( I do not celebrate any holiday in the month of December) this holiday pissing contest is getting pretty dam silly.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My son is obsessed with the Peanuts cartoons. There is only so much Charlie Brown Christmas you can take in July! I actually may have him watch it again. Since he isn't listening to me about why some people celebrate Christmas, maybe he will listen to Linus.
    Groovyflor1

Answer by Groovyflor1 at 3:09 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• If the show isn't on Nickelodeon my kids haven't seen it. I love all things Peanuts and if they wanted to watch it they could. I love Charlie Brown Christmas. It is a great work of fiction.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I am Jewish. I grew up watching Charlie Brown Christmas, The Grinch, etc… I don't particularly like some of the older Xmas specials, but it is style rather than content.

I'm not offended by them. Do my kids watch them? No. We don't watch a lot of tv in general. If we turn the tv on and any of the Xmas specials are on instead of what were were going to watch, we let them if they want. We just make no special effort to see them.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• We love Peanuts. While I completely disagree with what Linus is saying, of course we watch it. My kids understand that the cartoon and what they say isn't actually real, and they haven't asked me about it. I don't have a problem with it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2010