• In the Spotlight:

For those of you whose children opted out of college ...

If you have a son or daughter who recently graduated high school and who chose not to go to college, what is it that he/she is doing now? How about you moms whose kids tried college and dropped out? How do they spend their days? Do you think they'll go someday?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• My kids had two choices beginning August after graduation. You begin college and live at home rent free...or you have a job and beginning 1 Sept $200 a month rent is due, plus $50 a week for groceries. Two went straight to college. The third went straight in to the Army.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Okay. I had one graduate college. One drop out and eventually went to a technical school to learn what he wanted to do all along but didn't tell anyone. My son that went in the Army didn't listen to anyone but the recruiter. Not much call for Abrams Tank Drivers in the civilian world. He made a lot of bad choices lost his wife and his kids and spent 5 yrs couch surfing across the country. Twice for over a year we didn't even know where he was or if he was okay. He pretty much hit rock bottom this last spring. We brought him home with the strict understanding that this was last chance period. He enrolled in Hallmark Institute of Aeronautics and is loving it and making great grades. Some kids aren't cut out for college. Sometimes a tech school can be the best compromise.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Well I was one of those kids...lol I went to school and moved out. I had a hard time balacing my work and school time. I eneded up dropping out of college 3 different times and 3 different schools. I have ALWAYS been a hard worker and I have great work ethics. I had to chose to pay my bills or go to class. I do somewhat regret my decisions, but I don't think it was time for me to go. I am now 25 and a SAHM with a baby boy. I am planning on trying to take some online classes and maybe a class or 2 on campusat night this comming spring semester. There is hope, don't be too hard on them. My dad was so mad at me he didn't talk to me for like a year. We make mistakes and then we learn from them.
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• oh and trying to find a good paying job that is "worth" having......not an easy thing to do, especially with this economy.

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My 20 and 24yo's both joined the Army right after they graduated from high school & my 20yo is still in (he graduated high school in May and left for basic in July and is still in AIT which is his schooling for his job in the Army which is communications). My 24yo was a dental tech in the Army and is a dental tech now that he's out of the Army. My 23 and 19yo's both went on to college after high school and my 23 has 2 more years of school left (he is in a 6 year program to become a Pharmacist) while my 19yo is studying to become a nurse and this is just his 1st year.
    Anonymous

• Joined the military ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• i have 5 adults none of them have gone to collage john take on line class,josh works as baker,jeff works on making films, nina works as field hand and nick is going back to school to get grade 11and 12
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 1:27 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• The one that figured he wasn't made for college completed his Basic Law Enforcement Training and is now actively looking for a job as a police officer.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Our son had a full scholarship to college. He didn't want to go. Instead he joined the USAF and loves it. He is currently in for over a year and a half.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Im 23 i went to Kentucky mt bible college right out of highschool 2006 maet my hubby there got married in 2007 had a baby in 2008 duriing 2007 and 2008 and 2009 I went to Liberty University Online...in that time period my mother was real ill was ready to die(praise God she has over come it and is well today) But i had to stop online school bc i could not take care of my mom all day at her place with a sloooow computer andtake care of my daughter and my house and my hubby all at the same time so I took care of my mom instead (no regreats ata ll) I feel like with out school and being a SAHM im have no purpose..... I do want to go back to school.. but i know online is not good for me i cant consentrate online i need to be in a classroom setting.. but i have no one to watch my daughter.. mu hubby works.. and I dont like letting people watch her i watch her myself..
    lacyjay1987

Answer by lacyjay1987 at 10:47 AM on Dec. 14, 2010