What does Yuletide mean?

It's funny. Until now it meant Christmastime to me. I will be honest I'd never heard of Yule so the association never crossed my mind. The song "The Christmas Song (chestnuts roasting on an open fire)" comes to mind. Was Mel Torme a Pagan or did he just make the same association I did? Not being snarky here just an honest question.

sopranomommy

Asked by sopranomommy at 2:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• "Yuletide" actually starts sometime in September- which correlates to when the Pagan harvest holidays started to prepare for the long, unfertile winter.

Kind of, Winter Nights starts in October, Yule starts at a crescent moon about half-way through winter (this year it started this past Monday night). Yule is the from the religion of Northern Europe. Solstice is associated with Saturnalia and other non-Christian religions. The Christians dealt with Saturnalia first because they started with Rome. As they spread into Europe, they introduced this "new" holiday they invented and tried to overwrite Yule with it. Instead people hid their religion, pretended to be Christian, and over time, the traditions were mixed.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• A long, long time ago the lines were blurred between the Pagan festival of Yule and Christmas. Not to be a controversy theorist or finger pointer but in order to convert Pagans to Christianity Christians related the birth of Christ to the Pagan celebration of the re-birth of the Sun (Winter Solstice on December 21st). According to many historical and scientific evidence Christ wasn't born in December at all. See http://www.ucg.org/booklets/HH/jcnotborndec25.asp just for one example.

"Yuletide" actually starts sometime in September- which correlates to when the Pagan harvest holidays started to prepare for the long, unfertile winter.

meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• sopranomommy

Comment by sopranomommy (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Thank you ladies. Part of the reason I hang around the answers section is to help inform myself and learn. You're never too old to learn. Am I converting? LOL nope but now I am understanding more.
    sopranomommy

Comment by sopranomommy (original poster) at 8:44 AM on Dec. 10, 2010