What are your thoughs on pacifiers??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 2:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Some babies take 'em, some don't... and some shouldn't if they're breastfed and change their latch to something that hurts mom as a result of the pacifier.

I have more issues with moms who don't clean pacifiers that have hit the floor! (Saw it at a Wiggles concert... mom picked up the pacifier and popped it in!)

Answer by gdiamante at 2:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• No issues, but get rid of them by the time the child is a year old.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I don't see a problem with them as long as they are taken away in a timely manner. What I hate is when you see a 2 or 3 year old walking around with one. To me thats just lazy parenting and neglect. I mean do those parents not know what it can do to their teeth?
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 2:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I LOVE THEM! They worked really well for me.
    pink725

Answer by pink725 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My son never wanted one, if you can get by without one that is what I would do.
    tggroves18

Answer by tggroves18 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I feel like they lead to oral fixation problems later. It's kind of a crutch. Yes, it pacifies your child for the time being by tricking them into thinking they are eating and are thereby comforted which also reinforces a comforting feeling with the process of eating.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:05 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I LOVE them! My first and fourth had one until they were 2 (limited to the crib/bed after 12 months), but my 2nd and 5th were/are finger suckers. My 3rd wouldn't take paci or fingers and she was the fussiest baby of all!

Answer by missanc at 2:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think they are for some kids and not for others.. ( neither of my kids would take them... but my husbands neice and nephew took them until they went to kindergarten and now both have braces at 7 and 8 years old ) ........it is like the bottle, you have to get them off of it at some time or another
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 2:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My DD refused to use one. But other than that I never thought about it.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 2:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Gone before the 1st tooth comes in

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2010