How would you define emotional/verbal abuse?

And where would you draw the line?

bjojola

Asked by bjojola at 2:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Relationships

• If you are feeling like you are being his emotional punching bag, then you tell him to stop and leave. If you can not leave then tell him to. Give each other some space. Ripping each other apart does not help. Verbal is often more hurtful than an actual beating. I tend to give and receive emotional/vocal abuse to my so. More often than not, these days, I will go to another room and think for myself for a  while. Time outs are very helpful for us. It is hard living with someone else.shruggingWe do not argue in front the children, but I know that they probably can hear us.  Remember that, if you put forth your part, he will meet you half way.

sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 5:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Making you feel worthless.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• All of the above...plus not taking into account your feeling or thoughts on something that affect your lives or your families life.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 3:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Anything that is said that is *meant* to make you feel less than good. If someone tells you that you need to start pulling your weight with household chores that is not emotional/verbal abuse- that is being constructive and asking for your help to better improve yourself and the environment you live in. If what they say is "You're are a worthless slob and a horrible mother" for not picking up socks that were left on the ground THAT is emotional/verbal abuse.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• him never taking responsibility for his actions
    or never saying sorry for his words
    even if he say sorry for hurtful words, if he goes and does it again, he never meant the sorry

blaming you for his actions- a deal breaker
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Me.

I am woman enough to say that I (looking back on it years later) emotionally/verbally abused my husband during a few years of our marriage (way back like years 7-9). I did things like:

Constantly tell him he couldn't do anything right.
    Constantly told him that whe he did wasn't good enough.
    Constantly told him that I should have never let him do this or that. because he just screwed it up.
    Constantly told him his was stupid.
    Constantly told him that he was pretty much worthless.
    Constantly berated him over anything and everything.
    Constantly told him I didn't give a damn if he was here or there (home or some place else).
    And many other things.

I now am woman enoug, nay.. Human enough to admit that this was verbal and emotional abuse on my part. These things devastated my husband in many many ways. I and only I, am responsible for doing those things to my husband in the past.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:03 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• AGREE !
    mrzshanteb23

Answer by mrzshanteb23 at 3:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2010