Agnostic

An Agnostic and Atheist are not the same thing.....right? I thought that an Agnostic believes in "God" or a "Supreme being" just not everything that say a "Christian" believes. Am I way off? lol

Conley639

Asked by Conley639 at 3:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Agnostics doubt all things God and religion
    Athiests don't belive in god(s) at all

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• They are different and what you've said is what I've always thought. An atheist believes in nothing, a agnostic believes there MAY be a god.

Answer by missanc at 3:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Atheist: There is no god(s).
    Agnostic Atheist: There is no way of knowing if there is a god(s) or not, but I don't believe there is.
    Agnostic: There is no way of knowing if there is a god(s) or not.
    Agnostic Theist: There is no way of knowing if there is a god(s) or not, but I believe there is.
    Theist: There is a god(s).
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• JulieJacobKyle gave a good summary. Agnosticism is the belief that we can't know whether or not a god(s) exists, or what that god(s) might be. An atheist does not believe a god exists.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I agree with JulieJacobKyle ^^^, and also want to add there are also concepts of strong (or explicit) vs. weak (implicit) in both atheism and agnosticism, that's why there sometimes seems to be some overlap. There are also many other ideas that fall into NON-theism, including a few religions and philosophies. Some ideas are non-theistic in that they reject the idea of a personal God, and define the concept of God some other way. Some are non-theistic because they don't necessarily deny that God exists, but think it's irrelevant. Some think religion is something to evolve beyond (post-theism). Others think that God equals the Universe or Nature (Pantheism), and this view is sometimes considered theist or non-theist by different people. Anyway, there are a lot of ideas that fall under NON-THEISM, and agnosticism and atheism are two examples that may or may not be similar depending on their views.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• JulieJacobKyle gave the a great description.

Mama2ML

Answer by Mama2ML at 4:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• JulieJacobKyle
    What she said
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• JJC gave you a very apt summary.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• what juliejacobkyle said. I, personally, am agnostic atheist.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2010