What are the question(s) you should ask at teacher's conference

luvpets

Asked by luvpets at 3:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Excellent question. What do you want to know? The teacher is with your child for many hours each day and sees them respond to many different situations: social, emotional and academic. You might choose to start by listening to the teacher's observations, and then have follow up questions based on what you hear. If the teacher is insightful they will have some good recommendations for you in the areas they see your child might be struggling, or need more of a challenge in. If you have any concerns, raise them. You can say "I"m seeing XYZ at home, are you seeing that in class?" or "I'm concerned about ABC, do you have any suggestions for me at home?" The vast majority of teachers really want to help your student, and they understand what an impact you as the parent has on their performance in school, so approach the conference as one team member conferring with another. Each child is unique, and your conference will be too.
    whatthewhat

Answer by whatthewhat at 3:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It is a good question! I think it depends on the individual child. Overall you are there to find out about your child's progress and what the goals for the rest of the year might be for your child. I always prepare a list of questions!

My child is not challenged, so my questions were that I wanted to see his test scores, benchmark scores, map scores. I wanted to know how he did on his pretests. I also wanted to know how many words per minute he is reading and what reading group she has him in currently. How they are challenging him in math and in reading. And because his weak area is writing, what they are doing for that, if he does daily writing.

You can ask for lists of books that they think are appropriate for your child's age/reading level. You can also ask about behavior, social skills, how he is doing with making friends, if he appears happy in class...really whatever you wish to know! Now is the time to find out!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Just ask about the things that concern you.. Shouldn't be too hard ot come up with a list of things.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:45 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• depends on what you want to know... is your child keeping up? or getting ahead? troubles? stregnths? weaknesses? and things to work on at home...
    asil

Answer by asil at 8:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Generally, just ask the teacher what her concerns are and what you should be doing at home to help your kid. Don't tell her your life story. She really doesn't want to know.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• clappingThank you so much ladies for your input. My conference is tomorrow and I will take all your suggestions with me.

luvpets

Comment by luvpets (original poster) at 2:11 AM on Dec. 14, 2010