MY PUP WONT STOP BITING MY SON!

My son loves our dog but they do play ruff together, i tell him not to but sooner or later someone is crying lol!! boys will be boys!! when my son runs or jumps the puppy nips him, and this happens so much that the puppy doesnt know the difference between play time and not play time, if my son wakes in the middle of the night the puppy will pounce him and try and play and bite him pretty hard and of course he will cry! during the day my son also cries when the puppy nips him i try to tell my son, walk away tell him no, give him a lil pop on the snout and tell him no! but my son cant really do that he will pop the dog three times and tell him no no no no and the dog at this point thinks he is playing!! and just wont stop!! its both of there faults when it comes down to it, and its ANNOYING!! So help please!?!?

SammiGirl07

Asked by SammiGirl07 at 3:12 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Pets

• You need to get your pup under control immediately or this will turn into a much bigger problem. I say keep them separate until YOU say it's ok for them to be together and then keep an eye on both of them the entire time they are together. If the dog starts biting or "nipping" at you son- you pull the dog away and keep it under control so it knows it can't do that.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• You need to teach the puppy not to play like that. You shouldn't have encouraged this behavior ever.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 3:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Sometimes a more stern voice will work better. Try telling him no and correcting him yourself in a very stern voice. Your child may need correcting too so that he doesnt cause these reactions.
    Rita62865

Answer by Rita62865 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Your pup looks at your son as an equal. You don't mention how old the dog, or your son are. If your son is old enough, I would enroll them both in obedience class, with your son being the boss. Dogs who don't know their place can be dangerous and annoying when they are older and have developed bad habits.
    yestheirallmine

Answer by yestheirallmine at 3:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• umm i didnt encouraged it you dummy! yeah pup please go bit my son PLEASE!! yeah right, i trained him just fine he doesnt bite myself or my dh! just because my son plays differently and acts differently with the dog AND because the puppy is getting older and more active this is becoming a problem, we train him very well he goes outside to pee and poop, he sits and stays and knows common things like up down and no! .. , and no duh i have to get him under control im trying OBVIOUSLY he is trained in every other way this one is just a little hard to get under control so i was seeking help..
    SammiGirl07

Comment by SammiGirl07 (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• the puppy is 3 months my son is 5
    SammiGirl07

Comment by SammiGirl07 (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Use a rolled up newspaper or magazine and hit your hand, not the dog, to make a loud noise and sternly say no. Eventually just the sight of the newspaper will be enough to make the dog settle down.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 3:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• WOW! For someone who is asking for help, you sure don't appreciate answers.... can you say snarky?
    yestheirallmine

Answer by yestheirallmine at 3:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I'd say bye bye puppy before your son gets seriously hurt....
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It will get better with time so long as you are consistent, it took my pup a couple of months to figure out when it is appropriate and when it isn't. Just be stern and consistent.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 3:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2010