i would like to know some ways how to calm down when your about to blow up?. (temper wise)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Jul. 6, 2008 in About CafeMom

• First of all, stop putting yourself in the situation to blow up. If you know something makes you mad, don't put yourself in that situation to get mad. Some can't be avoided so it's best to walk away for a while to calm down and it's best to do that before the anger gets out of hand. If u can't come back in a better mood, don't come back till you can! If you're easily irritated, you might consider being a hermit!
    jon6pat

Answer by jon6pat at 2:18 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Mommy Time-Out!! When I start getting angry and irritated, I stop myself and think, "why am I acting like this? I'm an adult, not a toddler, so act like an adult and not a toddler." Then, I go into another room or outside for a minute, take some deep breaths, calm myself down and come back to handle the situation like an adult. Just remember this phrase: "You choose how you react to different situations!" It is your choice to get or not get angry and it is your choice to behave like a toddler or an adult!
    Nicollynne

Answer by Nicollynne at 4:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• In your head, act out the worst way to handle the situation but still feel good. In the end you'll realize its not worth it. I do this at work all the time. I work in retail.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 5:34 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Queetdi, I think it is a little different when you absolutely have to do it like at work. I can suck it up a big time at work dealing with not one but tone of those suckers.

Yet, i can't tell my children for more than 5 minutes. I blow right off at them to the Pacific Ocean.

I try to take a deep breath and turn my head around and make faces. hahahahhha
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 5:37 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I'm getting better,( I think). There are things that happen that really make me angry. I used to be in a prev. marriage where I was really angry alot, swearing and throwing things. I just didn't know how to deal with the ongoing frustrations. Now, even tho I struggle at times, one of the things that motivates me to react more calmly is that I just don't really like how I was then. I want to be better. Also, you can keep asking the Lord for His help - because people are just not going to understand why, why is she so angry, why is she blowing up at me? And you are going to affect them in an adverse way. The other nite I had a situation that didn't go well, and I had to go in the bathroom and take a lot of deep breaths. That is a big step for me--I usually want to yell or punch something.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Oh, I also wanted to add that it is imp. to hang around people that know how to deal with things calmly. My dh is a very calm person and rarely blows up. But, important not to be around a hot-tempered person!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jul. 6, 2008