Is Harry Potter and Twilight incompatible with Christian's beliefs? Should The Salvation Army throw those donations away?

The Salvation Army says it refuses to distribute Harry Potter and Twilight toys collected for needy children because they're incompatible with the charity's Christian beliefs.

The policy has alarmed a Calgarian who volunteered to sift through a southeast warehouse full of unused, donated items and was alarmed when he was told by Salvation Army officials that the two kinds of toys are "disposed of" and not given to other charities.

"I asked if these toys went to another charitable organizations but was told no, that by passing these toys on to another agency for distribution would be supporting these toys," said the man, who wouldn't give his name due to his occupation.

The man called himself an admirer of the Salvation Army and was impressed by the massive quantity of toys collected in city malls, schools and police stations through the Toy Mountain campaign.
But he questioned why the charity would be sifting out Harry Potter and Twilight toys, which involve sorcery and vampire themes, respectively.
"I was told to withhold a six-inch Harry Potter figure, but when I picked up a plastic M-16, I was told, 'That's for the 10-year-olds,'" he said.
"I was shocked...war-themed toys and toys from TV shows and movies with far more violence than Harry Potter and these were considered appropriate toys?"

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Religious Debate

• surprised

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• That is their choice. If someone doesn't like it they can donate to some other charity or ask another charity for help.
    Anonymous

• i think it's wrong they don't give them out, but i guess that's truely how they feel and it's good they stand for what they believe in. i wonder what happens when not all the kids get stuff, they still throw it out i bet.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I'll bet the Disney toys that are related to magic aren't weeded out. Pinocchio, Snow White, Cinderella, Alladin and I'm sure many, many more all contain magic.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 3:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

This is true, but up until this point, I didn't know about it. I wouldn't want any of my donations tossed.

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Well, I guess I will just be finding anpther charity to support instead.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 3:49 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• They are Christian based so I assumed they didn't take any toys that would go against their Christian viewpoint. It is one of the reasons I have never donated to them
    Anonymous

• that's really kind of lame, considering how many thousands of teens & tweens love both series. i guess it is their right to do this though. stupid imo.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• They are fictional characters....so no.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• They have a problem with Harry Potter, but guns are ok??? I find that strange, but I guess it's their decision. They should be more open about what they will and will not accept and distribute though, because I've never heard of this before. It sounds pretty silly to me.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2010