When should you take you child out of the crib and into a toddle bed??

2prettylittle1s

Asked by 2prettylittle1s at 3:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Whenever they seem ready--for some it's because they're climbing out, for others they don't like being closed in anymore. We have a convertible crib/toddler/full size bed, and we converted it to the toddler bed between age 2 & 2 1/2. It had a very low mattress setting, so we were able to use it as a crib longer than some people can. I wouldn't buy a separate toddler bed, so unless you have a convertible crib I would get a twin bed with guard rails when you think they're ready or if it becomes unsafe to keep them in a crib. I think the ages vary a lot though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• it varies child to child im sure. my oldest is 4, i tried putting her in a toddler bed just before her 2nd birthday and id have to pat her back for an hour for her to fall asleep in it, then she'd get up and peek at us thru her bedroom door. she wasn't ready for it til a little after 2. i put my middle in a toddler bed around 20 months and never had any problems with her, now at 23 months she sleeps great in it. i think the "average" age is 2, but like i said it depends on the child.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• When they start climbing out of the crib, since the fall from a bed would be less dangerous than the fall from the top of a crib rail.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• A) When the child is starting to climb out (or trying to climb out) of the crib. Better to roll out of a bed that's 1.5 feet off the ground than over a rail that's 4 feet off the ground, and there are bed rails to prevent rolling.

Or B), when the child doesn't want to sleep in the crib any more. My son was 2.5 before moving to a big bed, never tried to get out of the crib, just decided one day he didn't want to sleep there any more.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• My son never would sleep in his crib so we went from that to a twin and he started sleeping through the night. He was 18 months.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 3:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think, when they are figuring out how to escape from a crib.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:26 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• my child is 18 months and she loves to lay down on her sister's bed and most of the time she falls asleep on the bed. she is ready to move to her won bed at 18 to 24.
    nadin8

Answer by nadin8 at 3:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I don't think kids ever need a toddler bed - waste of money unless you have a convertible crib. It varies from child to child, but we took all of ours out of the crib and into a twin/full size bed between 2 and 3.

Answer by missanc at 3:57 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I did at about a year and 3 months old, worked great!
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 4:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• i think 1 is an apropriate age, or when they start climbing out of the crib, and i still have to lay with my two year old till she falls asleep in her bed
    stephanie_k

Answer by stephanie_k at 7:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2010