Budget Weddings

My DF and I are planning our wedding for next year in December. We would like to keep the cost as low as possible that way we can save money to buy our first home. Every person I talk to tells me, "There is no such thing as a cheap/budget friendly wedding, Good luck getting married for under $10,000."

Is this true? (I was thinking I would just do a lot of DIY Projects to cut some of the cost.)

Any advice? What other things can we do to save money on this wedding?

(Im in AZ- if that makes any difference)

Thanks ladies!

TsMommy428

Asked by TsMommy428 at 4:11 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Shopping

• My wedding to my ex husband cost us about $3200 total, from the banquet hall WITH dinner and open bar, dress, tux, favors, we rented DJ equipment and his BIL was the DJ as a present, we made cd's to play......my uncle was a professional photographer and he did the photos for our gift, we had cameras on all the tables, made the centerpieces and favors, I made the bouquet, corsages, bouteniers out of realistic fake flowers, we splurged on the wedding cake and everyone said it was a great reception
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Ours costed $3,500. We did go with a cheaper photographer and would recommend not to do that. He took great pictures. He just was so slow at getting things done for us. He also did not take a lot of pictures we wanted. But we got married at my parents place which did not cost us and helped. They also lived in a small town. So the reception place was cheap too. But very nicely decorated. I also made all my flower bouquets and other things. Good luck to you too. You have plenty of time to look at things and find things on sale.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Are you having a church and then separate reception? Because you can cut some of the cost by having the wedding at the actual reception hall and that eliminates some of the flower and video/photo cost. First thing you need to do is buy several of those bride magazines. They have tons of offers in the back for invitations and everything else under the sun. Shop around for the banquet hall...you'ld be surprised how many will give you so much more for the same price. Also, by adding some of your own touches you can make the banquet hall so much nicer, I had gold and white ballons inflated and they covered the entire dance floor ceiling and the stings hung down. Wedding character confetti on the tables and go to as many dollar stores as you can, I found all name holder/table figurines there, some of these places have really amazing stuff. Hope this helps.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 4:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I really don't remember the cost of our wedding. We eloped at the Ohio courthouse to cut costs of a wedding. Few things I regretted was no pictures, the real wedding dress instead of a plain white dress, and family being present.
    MommabearGrr

Answer by MommabearGrr at 4:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Try Off Beat Brides. www.offbeatbride.com

They have some unusual weddings, and that may not be your taste, but they ALL have information they post with their wedding story about how they made their wedding happen on small budgets, everything from making their own bouquets, to how they dressed, to their venues, etc.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:18 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Keep it to just family and a few friends. We had under 100 ppl. I made all the center peices myself. Same with my bouquet and the bridesmaids. They just carried 1 large calla lily. I only spend 700.00 on my dress (which I had to be talked into because I thought it was alot but everyone said it wasn't for a wedding gown) We had it outside at a hotel, you could have it in a park and rent a white tent to have the dinner and dance in. You could do it on a Friday night too they give deals for that and if you do have an evening wedding you can just do snacks instead of a dinner which will help cut costs. If any family members bake they could make the cake. If you have any friends or friends of family that can do the photography or DJ etc. Depending on your beliefs you could have a friend get ordained and perform the wedding for you. (reverends etc can run 200-500 around here) Nothing to get ordained.
    Anonymous

• I think you can easily do it for under 10k. For starters, depending upon how important a wedding party is to you, you don't have to have one. We didn't do it for cost reasons, but we didn't have a bridesmaids or groomsmen. We kept it very intimate, and didn't invite everyone to the ceremony. And if you do, if you keep it to only a couple of people for each side, that will cut your cost a lot. Another thing would be buying your own flowers and arranging them yourself, rather than having a florist cater them. We were lucky to have a family friend who is a photographer take our photos as a wedding present, and my cousin is a DJ, so he covered that. I would also suggest renting the tux rather than purchasing it. There are other ideas, but I'm having a brain fart, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Oh, and I was gonna say. The most expensive things are the photographer, the food, the dress, and the flowers. If you can cut corners on those, you'll be good. Our cake was also pretty pricey, but I think we just overdid it on the cake, lol. Most importantly, remember that everything doesn't have to be absolutely perfect. The most important detail of the day is the fact that you'll be marrying the one you want to be with. I think too many people focus too much on the wedding. I know that I stressed and worried over it, and all for nothing. I was just so happy to be married that even if everything didn't go perfectly and as planned, I would have still have enjoyed myself tremendously! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Our wedding was on a budget and there is no reason why you have to spend an arm and a leg to get married. By all means, make your own centerpieces, it will save you money. My uncle works for a local paper and took our photos as our gift, my aunt had taken cake decorating classes and made our wedding cake as a gift and my other aunt made all of our centerpieces and bouquets. My mom has been sewing almost all of her life and made my wedding dress. In all, our wedding only cost us about $500. It was several years ago, but it still can be done. Ten grand for a wedding is not budget, it's crazy!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I just thought of some other things too. We checked into renting table clothes, napkins, trees for decorating the room and it was actually more expensive to rent than to buy them. I just went to bed, bath and beyond and bought all the tableclothes and napkins now we use them for holidays. I also bought trees and put lights in them (to rent they were 50.00 but I was able to buy them at Gordmans for 35.00) now they are in my house.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 4:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2010