Westboro Baptist Church says it will picket Elizabeth Edwards' funeral

What in the world is their motivation for this one? These people are CRAZY!  (on CNN)

bjojola

Asked by bjojola at 4:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Their motivation is ATTENTION.. that's it.. Period. Stop.. (lol)

That's really it. Attention.. O way.. and money.. See they through these little picket events of theirs, and then when someone else says something/does somethings/reacts in some way, they then sue the city/town they are in. And in many cases win. WBC is predominately made up of 1 family. The majority of adults in that family are attorneys. They do everything they do by the letter of the law. Then when someone reacts to them, they respond using the law to their advantage.

The Phelps clan's reasons for doing these things has nothing to do with God, nothing to do with religion, nothing to do with spreading the message of their religion. It has everything to do with attention and money. And I must say (sadly and begrudgingly), so far it's been working for them.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• bad

Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 4:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I just posted this on another question about this:

I live in NC just east of Raleigh. One of the teachers at my school was friends with the Edwards' son Wade who was killed at the age of 16 or 17 while in high school. She knew Elizabeth Edwards and thought a lot of her. She is going to the funeral. I told her this morning about the picketing. She started crying. I didn't know she would have that reaction, but I understand it. What did Elizabeth Edwards do that warrants the Westboro Baptist Church to come to town? If they have something to say about John Edwards......picket his funeral.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• The members of Westboro have some serious issues.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 5:03 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• theyve been doing this crap for years and get away with it every time, hopefully some secret service will beat the crap out of some of them.
    brooklynohlordy

Answer by brooklynohlordy at 4:53 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Every time I see a post like this I understand why Christians often get a bad rap. These people have no compassion and no heart. If they had any clue what Jesus taught and wanted us to do they would not be doing what they're doing.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 5:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

Not all Christians lack compassion!! 

I don't consider the Westboro freaks Christian, either!!

Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 5:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/09/elizabeth-edwards-funeral-westboro-baptist-church_n_794333.html

Somewhere, they forget that it says "Judge not, Lest You be judged." Matthew 7:1

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I don't think they are Christians either. They use the name "Baptist" to gain entrance. I'm a Baptist. We cook meals for illness, deaths, babies being born. We submit names and concerns for the prayer closet. We go to bible study. We don't dance (well, we use to not dance), and we don't protest times of loss. These people are no more the normal, main-stream Baptist (or Christian) than the jihadists are the normal, main-stream Muslim.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I thought they just hated fags.. (their words)... what did Elizabeth do? Stayed with her lying cheating husband? Honor her marriage vows? What?

Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 6:00 PM on Dec. 9, 2010