Oprah: I'm not a lesbian...

(PEOPLE.com) -- The rumors have been around for years. She even made light about them recently. But Oprah Winfrey has once again stated flatly: "I'm not a lesbian."

"I'm not even kind of a lesbian," the talk-show queen, 56, tells Barbara Walters in an upcoming interview on ABC. "And the reason why [the rumor] irritates me is because it means that somebody must think I'm lying. That's number one. Number two ... why would you want to hide it? That is not the way I run my life."

The rumors have focused on Winfrey's friend Gayle King. But Winfrey says that relationship is extremely close in a whole different way.

"She is ... the mother I never had. She is ... the sister everybody would want. She is the friend that everybody deserves. I don't know a better person. I don't know a better person," Winfrey says while choking up.

"It's making me cry because I'm thinking about ... how much ... I probably have never told her that. Tissue, please. I now need tissue. I've never told her that."

The occasion for the interview, airing Thursday at 9 p.m. ET on ABC, is the end of Winfrey's syndicated show next May and the beginning of her new cable network -- OWN, The Oprah Winfrey Network.

On that subject, Winfrey admits to having been afraid of how daunting the new project is. "I was very scared," she says. "I would wake up in the middle of the night literally like clutching my chest, like, 'What have I done? What have I done?' "

Did you ever think she was?

bjojola

Asked by bjojola at 4:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If she is it's none of our business. She has a right to live her life as she chooses. I just can't picture Oprah as gay!!!
    jenna355

Answer by jenna355 at 5:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Don't know, don't care.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:10 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I never thought she was. I just thought she couldn't get him to sign the prenup she wanted.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:03 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Why would I even care? What she does in her bedroom is nobody's business. Does it make her less somehow if she was? A person's sexual orientation is private and frankly, I wish more people would realize this. I don't really need or want you to tell me if you are gay or straight. Live your life how you want, that should be declaration enough.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 5:03 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• ive heard this before, its really sad... i hate the "any woman who is successful on her own and never gets married must be a lesbian" idea is so annoying!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:04 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I don't really care. maybe somebody should ask Steadman.!!!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• No, not at all!

Answer by older at 4:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Honestly, I've never even thought about it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• OMG who freaking cares?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Never thought about it.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 4:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2010