My 2 year old still has to have a bottle before bed or a nap, how can i stop it?

stephanie_k

Asked by stephanie_k at 5:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• would throw them all away ! he is goin to cry regardless bcuz he used to having them but he will stop after a week or so ! its really not good for his teeth ! bottles make kids teeth rotten !
    mrzshanteb23

Answer by mrzshanteb23 at 5:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I just stop my son a few months ago. Every time he ask for his cup of milk (no bottle) I would just tell him cup gone bye bye. And every time he asked I would keep repeating my self. It was hard the first few days but by the end of the week he got the point and he dosen;t ask anymore.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 5:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• You have to tell them that there will be no more bottles. You can throw them away, or donate them, or put them away for storage, but you can't give in.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 5:23 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• You just have to be tough. My daughter was a little over two before she gave up her bottle. I would try to put them away, but when she cried I would give in. Finally, I didn't give in and after one day she was fine with her sippie cups. Try to let him pick out a cup t the store to be his new big boy cup.
    Tot3

Answer by Tot3 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• What's in the bottle? First, start watering down whatever is there until you're handing over a bottle of pure water. First and foremost- you don't want milk or juice pooling in a sleeping mouth. Concurrently, develop a new routine and offer new comfort items. I'm guessing your 2 yo has always gone off to sleep with a bottle. It's become the routine - the comfort mechanism. Start by not letting her fall asleep while taking the bottle. If she starts to drift...remove the bottle and put her down. If she fusses, don't give the bottle back. Reassure her, offer her another comfort item - stuffed toy, blanket, etc. Step back. If she fusses, repeat with reassuring her. what she can start to drift off, give up the bottle and not fuss, start taking away the bottle when she seems relaxed but not drifting. Repeat the process as before - offering comfort no bottle. Keep working your way back until the bottle is gone.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• she doesnt sleep with the bottle in her mouth while sleeping, she drinks it first then gives it to me or puts it down the goes to sleep with her doggy.
    stephanie_k

Comment by stephanie_k (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2010