Breastfeeding and Plan B

My DH and I had sex Tuesday night, and didn't use a condom (even though I told him to) and I am not on any birth control yet because I just had a baby 4 weeks ago. I am breastfeeding (no supplementing or anything, all breastmilk) and I am kind of worried about getting pregnant again. Can I take the morning after pill while breastfeeding or will it hurt my son, or lower my milk supply? I know it was dumb not to make him wear one, but I tried, and we are young and are facing so many problems, and we do not want to bring another child into this world until we are really ready for them (although he/she would be a blessing either way). Thanks for your help!

hem0036

Asked by hem0036 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Speak to your MD about a lose dose pill. I was bf and MD told me I could take a lose dose pill so we wouldn't have an "accident". It's called Jolivette (generic for ortho micronor).
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:01 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• If you want to take it you need to talk to your dr. and you would have to do that tom. You have to take Plan B within 72 hours of having unprotected sex.

momofalilboy

Answer by momofalilboy at 11:05 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• you should talk to your OB at your 6 week check up and ask about the Mirena It's an IUC/IUD and in inserted into your cervics and its a natural low flow dose of BC. I have it and my son is 8 months old and have not had a period yet will be goin on 16 months since my last menses. You and your parter can't feel it. My 3 friends have it as well and we all love it.
    motherofzander

Answer by motherofzander at 12:00 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Don't take the Plan B, it can supress your milk supply.
    The chance of you getting pregnant at 4 weeks post partum, exclusively BF is next to nothing.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:04 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• The chance of pregnancy occurring during the first three months of ecological breastfeeding (nursing on cue, keeping baby close, providing all nourishment and liquids at the breast for the first five to eight months, and nursing to comfort the baby. It does not include the use of bottles or pacifiers, mother-baby separation, parent-imposed feeding schedules or restriction of night nursings) are practically nil. During the second three months, there is a less than 2 percent chance of becoming pregnant before the first menstrual period. After six months postpartum there is a six percent chance of becoming pregnant before the first period. That means that an amenorrheic woman who is relying on ecological breastfeeding alone has a 94 percent chance of not becoming pregnant during the second six months postpartum.
    maggiemom2000