Aren't sex offenders who have victimized minors supposed to live at least 1000 yds away from kids???

I just got a notice in my mail that a man convicted 3 times of Criminal Sexual Abuse of minors has just moved into my apartment complex! There are TONS of families here, and a middle school right across the street! I thought people like him couldn't live around kids and near a school!!

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 6:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• they can, but the residents nearby have to be aware of it. atleast in my area.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• School, no. they have to be so far from those. As far as families, they just have to notify people living around them that they're sex offenders.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Why not ask the police? They know.

I can't imagine how anyone could possibly be expected to know if the homes surrounding them had kids living in them or not. I'm pretty sure they're not at liberty to knock on all the doors to see...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• i believe they can live where they want but that the neighbors have to be notified
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:15 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Im pretty sure they just have to notify people around them or have it posted.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 6:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Well, I did call the police. The detective in charge of this dept. was away from his desk.
    Secondly, houses with kids are pretty obvious... especially to someone who specializes in victimizing them.
    Also.. what struck me is that you have to have a background check to live here. That seems like a joke now. What do you have to do to be excluded from living here??
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• You live in AZ. Sex offenders there are forbidden from living within one thousand feet of schools and licensed child care centers. The law does NOT forbid them from being within 1000 feet of children. Very likely the law also forbids a landlord from renting to an offender IF the offender has completed the terms of his sentence and parole and can pay the rent.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I know this doesn't help your problem, but I don't think sex offenders (not the 18 or 19 yr old that dates the 16 or 17 yr old and dad presses charges) the ones real sex offenders don't deserve to live, period!
    Anonymous

• I'm with you Anon. This man is 43 now... so his latest offense was committed when he was 24 ( ie. old enough to know sex with a minor is wrong) Plus, one of the charges is Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse... I looked that up. It means the repeated, forced or coerced molestation of a minor.
    He should never have left prison.
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2010