How can I get my child to poop in the toilet and not in his pullup?

He is 3 1/2
has two older siblings
we have tried stickers, charts, treats, big toilet, his own toilet. While on toilet we have tried timers, books, music, cereal in the bowl as a target, and more...

ALP1111

Asked by ALP1111 at 6:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Put him in undies exclusively. No more pull ups! That's the only thing that worked for me.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• You can make a really big deal about it and then google 'bowel retention'... or you could leave it. He WILL NOT go to his high school grad party in pullups.

I promise he will outgrow this.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Stop using pull-ups unless he's sleeping.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Use either underwear or cloth diapers... it makes it more uncomfortable for them because the diapers don't wick the moisture away from their skin, and they train sooner.
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 1:46 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I agree with the others to get rid of the pull ups and go to underwear. Try to keep an eye on him when you think he needs to go and watch for suspicious behavior, then take him. If he has an accident, calmly change him and talk about where he should be pooping. Then move on. Rewards worked for us. He loves cars so he'd get a car if he pooped in the potty. (I watched for them on sale to reduce the cost of this...) For what it's worth, I had to take all distractions out of the bathroom. He apparently needed to focus! Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I am dealing with the same things...Doctor said to get rid of pullups/diapers...use underwear all the time..... since then, she poops in the potty.... He said to just stand strong...do not give in and they will go... :)
    tklsmom

Answer by tklsmom at 9:47 AM on Dec. 12, 2010