what does contractions feel like?

i feel stupid asking but what does a contraction feel like.
and how well i know i it i a cntraction?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You'll know --partly because it doesn't feel like anything else at all... Initially, they're just strong muscle contractions (like what your legs feel like when you're lifting something heavy) --your belly will go all hard, from the top to the bottom. They're distracting because they're very strong muscles, and they're pulling and lifting your cervix and pushing the baby down into it at the same time...

Later, when the baby starts to move down the birth canal (after you're fully dilated and everything) it feels a lot like a very powerful (much more powerful than any you've ever had) bowel movement. Kick anyone who tells you to push, because you'll contract the wrong muscles, shortening and tightening the space the baby needs to move through. Your body will do it all without any of your help.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• To me they felt like some one trying to rip my insides out,. like they had gotten my insides and were twisting them up.
    tharealty2

Answer by tharealty2 at 6:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• If you have an epidural you don't feel anything if you end up like my step sis having no choice but to go without cause by the time she got there baby was coming out she said it felt like someone was trying to slowly rip her apart now when I got to the hospital I was hyper contracting and it hurt and they were also squashing my sons head
    lonemom1987

Answer by lonemom1987 at 6:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• To me . they felt like the worst menstrual cramps ever.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 6:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Yes, really strong period cramps.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• some people have contractions in their back (i did) it feels like a big muscle spasm that tightens then realeases then it will tighten again.
    raylc

Answer by raylc at 10:10 PM on Dec. 9, 2010