Ok, so a mom asked a stupid question asking if breastmilk comes out of the nipple....and someone actually replied that the milk comes out of the WHOLE nipple (areola and all). ......

Please ladies, back me up because breast milk only comes out of the tip (the hard part of the nipple) and NOT the ENTIRE areola. She says I'm mis-informed, lol.

p.s. I breastfed so I know....lol.

worriedmommy600

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 6:25 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• OMG.

So... there are duct openings out to the world... concentrated at the nipple's tip. Except for people who are uniquely formed. They can have open ducts, well, pretty much anywhere from their nipples to their armpits. When they're away from the nipple, they don't have any way of 'holding back' the milk, so they leak continuously.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• You're right hon! The whole nipple has milk glands,but the milk comes out of the nipple tip only!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It only came out of the hole on the end of the my nipple. She must have had a whole sprinkler system!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• The lactation system inside your breasts resemble a tree. The milk glands (the leaves) are grapelike clusters of cells high up in the breast that make milk. Milk travels from these glands down through the milk ducts (the branches). These ducts then widen beneath the areola (the dark area surrounding the nipple), forming milk sinuses (the tree trunk), which then empties into the approximately twenty openings in your nipple (like the channels going down to the roots of the tree). These milk sinuses are located beneath your areola.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I'm not disagreeing that their are milk ducts in the areola....only that the milk is only empited through the tip of the nipple and not the whole nipple it'self. I've never heard of milk coming out of the WHOLE nipple. Only the tip.
    worriedmommy600

Comment by worriedmommy600 (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• do you feel better now for creating an entire post about my response? yay, some people agreed with you. CONGRATULATIONS.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• If you have a flat nipple, it can indeed seem like the milk comes out from a large portion of the areola!

Answer by gdiamante at 6:33 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Good lord!!! The milk comes out of the NIPPLE ONLY.
    goldilocks70

Answer by goldilocks70 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• By the way... there are multiple openings in each nipple, So some of us are like a sprinkler.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• sometimes is can leak out of the little ducts (little bumps on areola) but it's not like a flood or anything maybe little drops on there but it can happed if you have an awesome milk supply (i never did but have had patients who did)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2010