Just a friendly, neighborhood.... sex offender??

I just got a notice in the mail that a child sex offender moved into my apartment complex! I thought they couldn't live near a school or kids... There are TONS of families here and a middle school across the street.
The manager does background checks on all applicants...what a joke! My BIL just got turned down from living here because he has an eviction on his rental history... but a man who sexually assaulted 3 MINORS got accepted??? What the hell is wrong with this picture?!?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 6:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That doesn't sound right at all
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 6:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think you're right about them being a certain distance from schools. But within an apartment complex is probably legal - as long as everyone is notified - which you were. I'm not saying it's RIGHT, I'm just saying I don't think there's a law against it.
    MamaOfB

Answer by MamaOfB at 6:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I didn't think you could get a notice in the mail... isn't that a violation of their rights? Here in Missouri, the only way you can find out about that is to visit the website and look for yourself. Are you sure??
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:33 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• sadly its probably a relative of the owner of the building or manager but there are rules about being so many feet from a school I would look into that
    xbabygirlz

Answer by xbabygirlz at 6:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• a lot of states are now allowed to warn people with posters and mailings about sex offenders. Unfortunately, there is nothing against them living in an apartment complex,they just have to be so far away from schools and places were children go-like parks/playgrounds, etc. Personally, IMO, anyone that has molested a child should never be let out of prison.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Oh no!! I don't know what I'd do if I were you. I don't think they can be stopped from living near children, but I believe you are right about the schools. I'd do some research and see if there is anything you can do about it.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• What the hell is wrong with this picture?!?

Answer: Everything!!!
    I would personally ask the manager what the hell that's about.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 6:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• yeah, I'm sure, m-avi. It is about the size of a postcard and says SEX OFFENDER NOTIFICATION in bold letters on the top, along with a picture and description of the offender. It also tells what year and what he was convicted of. There is a warning on the back that says "Citizen abuse of this information to threaten, intimidate, or harass sex offenders, will not be tolerated.
    So, as long as their safety is protected, we're all ok....... right? Hogwash...
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I mean, this guy was convicted of Criminal Sexual Abuse of a minor 3 separate times! Why is he even out of prison????
    brandyj

Comment by brandyj (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Wow. And it really says that about the warning ?? OMG.. I think I would move. Is there anyway to find out more information, about why he's not in jail?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:55 PM on Dec. 9, 2010