i am having a premature baby 34 weeks old any advise scared 1st time mom?

i have had a great pregnancy untill my 32 week when i started having contrations b.h. and i got worried i am now at 33 weeks and 5 days and am in the labor and deliver in hillcrest tulsa,oklahoma hooked up to all kinds of stuff watching me and the baby to see if we are going to make it to 40 weeks i am now dilated to 3 cm. and really worried i will have the baby in the next 2 weeks if not less i'm tired and scared to have my baby early not really ready and missed my child birth classes. oh well when its time it's time right baby waits on no man. hahahahaahah

suezyzoo

Asked by suezyzoo at 11:11 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had my son at 34wks my water broke they tried to keep him in me for 3 days. I only got to a 3. They after 3 days they gave me a c-sec. My son was in the nicu for 2wks. he was on oxygen and he had a feedin tube. He was my first and i was 16. It was the worse time of my life. Im sorry im probably not helping i just wanted you to know my story. Has your water broke? how far apart are your contactions? Do they say how much longer they think it will be?
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 11:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• My two stepsisters and my cousin all three gave birth at 34 weeks. Yes, their babies were preemies...but all three of them are now very healthy, happy toddlers :D So don't lose hope! Be strong, mama, everything will be okay in the end.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:18 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Hi I too am from Oklahoma and I have hjad 2 preemies. I have a 32 weeker who is now 3 and a 28 weeker who is now 1. My 32 weeker weighed 3'10 " and my 28 weeker weighed 3'6ozs. I know it is scary but your baby is in good hands. Your baby should weigh at least 4 lbs and I am sure they gave you steroidds for his or her lungs to develop. I am sure the baby will be in the NICU for a time and one thing I reccomend is...Spend as much time in the NICU as you possibly can. Let the baby smell you and feel your touch. It aids in the growth of a preemie. The touch of a mother. Also right away if you can do Kangaroo care...Skin to skin holding. This is sooo important for your tiny miracle. PM me if you have any questions. I will be here for you. Remember to stay strong and love that baby! Congrats!
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 11:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I went into pre-term labor at 33 1/2 weeks and the doctor put me on medication to keep the contractions away...I made it to 37 weeks on the dot and then had her. Is medication not an option for your situation?
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• There's a really good chance the baby will be find if born now. He or she may have to stay a little longer in the hospital. But I think you and the baby will both be okay. Look up how developed your baby is online...it should make you feel a little better.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:21 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Oh and my son was 6lbs 5ozs and was 19in long. And he is 2 now and a very active normal 2 yr old.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 11:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I went into labor with my son at 31w 6d. Doc put me on bedrest and they were trying to keep him in until 34 weeks. HA - he lasted 3 days. I gave birth at 32w 3d. He weighed 4lbs 13oz. Here it's 21 months later and he is happy, healthy and shoing no signs of prematurity.
    CBodden

Answer by CBodden at 11:40 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I am 32 weeks and 5 days and I have been on bedrest since 23 weeks. I am in the hospital in houston, tx so I know what you are going through. They put me on magnesium the first 6 days I was here through and iv and 2 steroid shots...now i take albuterol every 4 hours and prosterone shots once a week. I am also at 2 cm...Ask your doctor about the drugs I have taken and see if that is an option for you. Also keep hydrated...I drink 3 34oz jugs of water daily. Try to lay on your left side as much as possible because it puts less pressure on your cervix and allows better blood flow to the placenta. Take it from me I have a complete previa and thats the reason I have been on bedrest so long!! And if you do go into labor early you are well passed the weeks you need to have a healthy baby...after 32 weeks the problems your baby may encounter drop dramatically. Lastly, pray and stay in faith...Good luck and god bless!
    tall_mom42

Answer by tall_mom42 at 2:22 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• DD was born at 28 1/2 weeks and weighed 2 lbs. 2 oz. Scary start; she spent 6 weeks in the NICU but she defied all the odds and is now a perfectly normal 8 year old.

Do you know if you're having a boy or girl? Girls typically do better in these kinds of scenarios but that's not to say boys don't thrive as well.

I wish you the best of luck!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• First off.... ((((((((((((((big hugs))))))))))))) to you.

I delivered on 8/4/08 at 34 w 3 days. My dd Karli was 4 lbs 8 oz and in NICU for 3 weeks 1 day. I had Pre-E, Gestational Diabetes, and hypertension( not pregnancy induced). They gave me steroid shots at 30 weeks when I was admitted for blood pressure issues just in case I delivered early. I had a repeat c-section so it wasn't too much of a shock for us... just that it was earlier than planned!
    Karli does have issues where she will stop breathing so she is on an apnea monitor until she is 6 months old...it's annoying, but necessary. She is also on caffeine once a day to jump start her system. Karli has more than doubled her weight already. She does get the synagis vax once a month to prevent RSV since it is deadly for preemies.
    I wish you the best!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:44 AM on Nov. 7, 2008