How old were your kids when you let them play in the tub by themselves?

Hubby and I are having a debate, our daughter is almost 4 years old and I might leave her for a minute at this point to grab a towel or something (NOT doing that with my 1 year old obviously) but dh thinks we can just leave and let her play in the tub and she'll call us when she's ready. He's making me think maybe I'm being overprotective, what do you think? She turns 4 next month.

marine_wife0520

Asked by marine_wife0520 at 6:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I will go around the corner and get a washcloth, but that's it. My daughter is four. She could fall and hit her head and you might not know for awhile. Too risky. I'm with you.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 7:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Info from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:

In 2007, of all children 1 to 4 years old who died from an unintentional injury, almost 30% died from drowning. Although drowning rates have slowly declined,1,3 fatal drowning remains the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death for children ages 1 to 14 years.

Designate a responsible adult to watch young children while in the bath and all children swimming or playing in or around water. Supervisors of preschool children should provide “touch supervision”, be close enough to reach the child at all times. Adults should not be involved in any other distracting activity (such as reading, playing cards, talking on the phone, or mowing the lawn) while supervising children.

Better safe than sorry ...

tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Thanks ladies, I'm kind of excited to be like ha in your face! to dh when he gets home lol
    marine_wife0520

Comment by marine_wife0520 (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Mine were about 3 1/2. My youngest daughter is 4 1/2 and I can't remember the last time I sat in the bathroom with her. She either takes a shower or bath with her older sisters (8 and 10) or she takes a bath on her own and has for awhile.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2010