Is It Normal For A 4 Month Old Not To Nap During The Day?

My lo isn't napping during the day. I'm constantly feeding her. She will start to doze off and I will attempt to lay her down and she wakes and cries. I am always holding her and getting nothing done around the house. Help?!

SxyMartini

Asked by SxyMartini at 7:02 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Lots of babies nap a couple of times a day at this age. We always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same when we saw that the baby was tired. Diaper change, swaddling, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on or singing, cuddling/rocking/swaying. When our baby got drowsy he was laid down. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming her lungs out, but minor fussing. This is what worked for us. Our kids were good sleepers and happy babies. GL!!

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• YES. My daughter used to do the same thing. I thought that kid would never sleep~! LOL! You can lay her down in her crib or somewhere safe and let her just look around. It's totally fine.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• In this house, heck yes. I wasn't napper as a baby and neither was my son.

Do you have a sling? It can help.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• No. My 5 month old naps from around 8:30 until 10:30, and then again from 12:30 until 3:30, she goes down for a short nap from 5:30-6:30 and then bedtime is 8 and she sleeps until 7 the next morning. But I've been working on this schedule since birth. All 5 of mine have been on roughly this schedule around this age. I don't let them fall asleep nursing, I put them down awake but sleepy and they go to sleep (because it's what I did since birth)

Answer by missanc at 8:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Get a wrap or sling. It's a phase. Just wear the baby for a few weeks. It will pass.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:33 PM on Dec. 9, 2010