Can someone explain to me why it's "brainwashing" to teach your child to behave nicely to please God, but it's perfectly acceptable to tell them to be good or Santa won't bring them anything for Christmas???

It disgusts me when parents use the Santa card on their kids! Incidentally, it disgusts me when people use the God card on their kids in the same way (as if God is going to be mad at them if they disobey, or they have to obey in order to gain His love).

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 7:05 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Personally I think both are wrong. My kids are 5 and 3 years old and know the history behind Santa and that nowadays mom and dad are Santa not some magical being. Children should not behave out of fear of not getting something or getting in trouble, but rather because they want to do the right thing and have been taught what that is.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• why is it sad that they would beleive in God their whole life? He is the one that created all of us. He is our heavenly father. I dont think this debate should get started because it might start a war.
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 7:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• i agree with loving's last answer. no child should ever be taught that they will receive more/less love based on behavior.
    however, they NEED to be taught consequences to their actions. parents are able to do this better with "santa" than god. i think that's because they are able to compartmentalize santa better than christian teachings. with santa, it can be very black and white. with god, however, sometimes the teaching methods parents use can be borderline emotional abuse. being loved is EXTREMELY important to a child, and sometimes parents don't get that.
    i wouldn't call it brainwashing, though. i think the people who get fanatic about saying merry christmas are the same people that call it brainwashing. i don't think using god to teach children is a bad thing, as long as it is watched.
    i raise my children christian, but with the freedom of choice, like my parents did for me.
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 7:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Just choose an answer that agrees with you & move along. There's nothing "disgusting" about telling a kid to be good so Santa will come. I guess you probably boycott holiday songs that talk about it as well!
    Anonymous

• I agree with Loving. My parents did that too me too and there are no negatives at all.
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Guess you're "disgusted" by me then. And I care because......ha ! I don't.
    Anonymous

• shutup anonymous. I cant stand all of u people that talk such a big talk but dont have the balls to let us see your face.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 7:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• ooooooooooooooo....you told me anon! lol......
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 7:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Uh, if we all stuck to our own business there would be no debates, would there? This is a comparison: some people think it's wrong to teach kids behavior based on Christian principles.
    Adelicious

Comment by Adelicious (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Who cares as long as they behave.
    Anonymous