What do I do about kids who won't help?

I have 3 kids-1, 4 and 7. The 4 year old used to be my little helper, I dont' know what happened but she won't do anything I ask her to. The 7 year old is the same way. We have given them chore charts, taken priveledges away, yelled at them, and nothing has worked getting them to do anything. I have been sick a couple times over the last month or so and even then when I can't get out of my chair they won't help with anything. I am at my wits end and I want them to change their ways before my 1 year old picks up on this and does the same things. If anyone has any advice I would be grateful. I feel like I have turned into a horrible witch and I don't even like being around myself.

michelle3881

Asked by michelle3881 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Skip allowance, sweets, the drive -thru, the park, whatever until they make an effort. I know it's hard but after a week of getting nothing the way they''d like, they should cave in. Just know it will take the willpower of a gladiator to get this done for you.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• What do you expect them to do? Besides picking up their toys or putting their plate in the sink,I'm not sure what else a 4 year old should have to do.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I have the same problem with my 1 soon to be 2 year old and 3 year old. Hopefully someone will give us something to work with. Good luck
    SouthernCharm04

Answer by SouthernCharm04 at 7:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• They are pretty young so you have to have age appropriate expectaions of them and make it very clear what is expected. Lead them through each thing that you want them to do and be prepared to repeat. You have to make it clear this is what being a part of your family requires or they could work towards some sort of reward. My niece has her kids straighten up their beds in the morning, put their dishes in the sink, help set the table, and straighten up their toys each evening. She is right their encouraging and showing them what is expected and often makes it fun by working with them. Then they get tons of praise and hugs for doing a good job.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Well that's tough but they need to learn to listen to you that's life working, and cleaning. And maybe show a movie that is age apporicate they can realize how lucky they are . Good luck.
    Betutah

Answer by Betutah at 3:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2010