Would you be offended or am I thin-skinned?

I was talking to a friend at my son's lesson tonight. Another friend's 2 yo was playing with her cell phone & I told a story about my son calling someone overseas (really!) while messing around with my cell phone at about the same age. I then said that the call had lasted a couple of minutes, which I thought was bizarre.

So my friend said "He was probably talking to a pedophile." I said, "What? Don't say that!". She then said, "No really, he probably was." to which I replied, "Don't say things like that to me. It isn't funny." She said, "I'm being serious." I was really mad.

It blew over, because I let it, but I'm still a little mad and just blown away. Why would you say that to another parent? What do you think? Am I being overly sensitive?

sweetpotato418

Asked by sweetpotato418 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would take it as she is just particularly paranoid about pedophilia. It would't offend me. I would probably just laugh at her and blow it off.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 7:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• It would probably upset me too, but you need to talk to her and tell her how you feel.
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 7:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I'm not getting it, I guess. Why would you be offended by that, but then again, why would she think of something like that?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• What would even make her say something like that!? That's insane. I definately would have told her to STFU and walked away, while mumbling to myself how stupid she was.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 7:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Depends on how close the friend is. I would prob laugh. I have a dry sense of humor though. But dont feel bad if it offended you. If you werent comfortable then thats ok. Just let this one go and if something else like this is said then tell her that you dont think its funny.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• What a strange thing to say to someone. I would let it go, your friend obviously has some issues she needs to work out. No sense aggravating the situation.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:51 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Maybe offended wasn't really the right term to use. My response was (in my head, couldn't say it, kids around) "WTF are you talking about and where did that come from?"

I guess I just don't get someone saying, basically, "I'll bet your son was talking to a child molester."
    sweetpotato418

Comment by sweetpotato418 (original poster) at 7:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• I think there is something wrong with that woman.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 7:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• i don't get why you were offended. maybe you thought she was implying that your son likes to talk to pedophiles, i don't know. like maybe she was thinking, oh typical, kid's probably chattin it up to some crazy person. perhaps, like you said, offended wasn't the right word.
    i'm thinking maybe you were just plain weirded out? because that's a really weird thing for her to say. who automatically assumes that a random number called by your son dials up some creepy guy?
    the only thing i would say she had a good point about is the fact that it COULD have been an abuser of children that your son talked to. and kids are very open with strangers. he could have given personal information to a perfect stranger. he at the least has your number. i would take more care about watching my son with cell phones in the future, if i were you. that's just because there really are weird and crazy people in this world.
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 7:58 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Maybe she forgot to take her medication.
    Anonymous